Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 15-08-2015, 12:06 AM   #1
Anita Sayles
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Anita Sayles
Default Ideal Range Of Humidity

Hello

Could anyone tell me please the ideal range of humidity for a Mediterranean spur thighed tortoise.

Many thanks.
Old 15-08-2015, 08:02 AM   #2
Pussygalore
Adult

mine were adults and were outside all the time with heated housing so humidity never applied, the hatchlings had humid hides to sleep in but nothing else and just room temp with a basking area, they aren't intended to live in viv's .
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 09:26 AM   #3
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi Anita. It's a good question and the answer might not be straightforward. The wild tortoises would experience very dry conditions most of the time but would find shady spots to avoid the heat of the day. These spots would be less dry e.g around the roots of bushes etc. This species would also spend time buried during the hottest onths and below ground would be less dry. I think as keepers we should offer some variety.
Raising humidity on an open table is very difficult. Inside a viv there might be more chance of contolling it. Vivs are often reckoned to be too humid for Mediterranean species but surely it depends how much moisture the keeper puts in there.
Old 15-08-2015, 09:42 AM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

morning Anita, I am no expert but if I am over wintering or with little Elenor I tend to keep to around 40, or so says the meter, but it does fluctuate and I do water spray so it can go up, but outdoors it really does change - I've checked now and its 66% but I don't try and control the outdoors microclimate environment - it is what it is and I would move mine too if far too (humid) wet.....hope that helps, CB

Last edited by CherryBrandy; 15-08-2015 at 09:47 AM.
CherryBrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 01:23 PM   #5
Anita Sayles
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Anita Sayles

Thanks Ozirc and CherryBrandy

I'm creating 2 habitats so there shouldn't be a problem.
I've decided to use my 4ft table now instead of the small one, so plenty of room inside and out

I found the following on the Tortoise Trust website. I've done a quote as I thought it might be of interest to others

Quote:
Using an accurate relative humidity meter, check the ambient air humidity within the enclosure. It should be in the range of 45-55% for arid and semi-arid habitat species, including Mediterranean tortoises, Leopard, Indian Star and African Spurred tortoises and approximately 80% or more for tropical forest species such as Redfoot, Yellowfoot and Hingeback tortoises. The humidity should not normally be sustained below 40% for any species.
Quote:
While excessively dry environments should be avoided, so too should excessively moist or damp environments. The correct environment should be dictated by the natural habitat. As a guide, drier substrates and relative humidity levels (<60% RH) should be avoided for most forest dwelling species, and damper substrates and higher relative humidity levels (>60% RH) should be avoided for arid habitat species. Subjecting arid habitat species to consistently excessive levels of humidity can result in shell infections, skin diseases of both bacterial or fungal origins, and respiratory disease.
Old 15-08-2015, 03:03 PM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

yes that's interesting. thanks. I'm borderline then at 40 but I've never had problems with shells etc. it does go up during day as I mist but will bear in mind. I've just checked the human and doggy area and its 35% - that doesn't feel dry at all but if its not good enough for torts its not good enough for humans ! no wonder I look like I've had a hard paper round !

Last edited by CherryBrandy; 15-08-2015 at 03:17 PM.
CherryBrandy is offline   Reply With Quote