Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 07-12-2015, 01:47 PM   #1
TortoiseBea
Hatched

Send a message via Yahoo to TortoiseBea
Default Ideas for increasing the height of my tortoise table sides?

I have a 4ft x 4ft table, which is quite shallow now for the size of my tortoise. Has anyone any ideas on how to extend the height easily, with some sort of trellis or product I can easily attach. It doesn't have to be asethetically pleasing, just need practical ideas so he doesn't escape!
Old 07-12-2015, 04:45 PM   #2
Jan W
Sub Adult

When ours were little and in their tortoise table we had a 6" piece of wood surrounding it. We then added some clear plastic that we brought at B&Q, that added another 6". My husband just screwed it into the wood. It was something like perspex, although he did say it was a bit brittle but you can get better type of plastic now and if they are going to be able to see through it, I understand is better to buy opaque.
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 04:55 PM   #3
CherryBrandy
Adult

Tortoisebea, rather than extend upwards you may wish to consider adding a lip they physically can not get over it... far simpler. Depending how big your tortoise is dictates how wide the lip should be, but you can experiment. even the simplest of lips edges defeats tortoises...if you do the motion of a tortoise climbing over you will see why.

Mind you if you have a Horsfield you may want several high strategy anti lip defences and double barriers up with safety nets.......CB
Old 08-12-2015, 10:36 AM   #4
Finsky
Incubating

Just as others have already said...

As I had my tortoise with very short notice and had to rustle up some kind of housing with stuff that I already had. I used a sheet of plastic greenhouse glazing to raise the sides of the box. It is fairly cheap..about £5 sheet (you can get it easily from Ebay :: )
..and the good thing is that you can cut it with scissors. One sheet did the job for me. Then it is just case of fastening it on...glue/screws..what ever you have handy. Those sheets have protective white film on them..you can leave them on if you don't want your tortoise see through them..or take off if you need more light entering to the box.
My tortoise has already tested the extension to its limits... ..and it does work well, though I did add extra strip on one end of its run ..on top..inside lip, as it looked like he might have some hurdling skills too....yep, he is Horsefield..
Finsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:19 AM   #5
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

it might depend what it's made of to begin with but mine was wood, just ordinary unpainted wooden boards up on edge for the sides and I glued more wood on top of the sides, pieces of 50mm x 19mm or something like that, more or less the same thickness as the bits that I was sticking it to. Can't remember what glue I used, No More Nails or maybe EvoStik wood glue.

BTW I tried a lip and it was quite hard to get it to fix to the sides without tipping up so I abandoned that plan

Last edited by Alan1; 08-12-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:20 PM   #6
TortoiseBea
Hatched

Send a message via Yahoo to TortoiseBea

Thanks everyone, I think i'll look into some sort of non see through plastic sheet extension, I think the current reason he tries to climb the sides is he can probably see over them from one end of the table, so this may work!