Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 20-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
LUVLEE
Incubating

Default Not eating

Saffron is being a real pain with her diet at present. She will only eat the komodo complete fruit and flower pellets and if offered anything else refuses to eat it. Seeing as i only want to give her these no more than twice weekly its a nightmare.
All she wants to do is sleep in her hide.
She is now eighteen months old and i have had her only since April so was trying to over winter her.
What can I do ?
or do you think shes trying to hibernate?
My other tortoise Nutmeg is eating everything and very active even though she is only 6 months old.
Any suggestions please

1 Husband
2.0.0 children
1.1.0 Grandchildren
1.1.0THB (Saffron and Nutmeg)
2.0.0 Guinea pigs (Buddy and Beau)
[URL=http://s1083.photobucket.com/albums/j400/LUVLEEJU/?action=view&current=DSCF0137.jpg][IMG]http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j400/LUVLEEJU
LUVLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
pagan queen
Adult

I wouldn't worry, she's just slowed down for the winter. My 16 month old is the same right now. She isn't waking up unless I get her up, and she's not eating as much as before. Just give her a warm bath everyday and offer her food. She will come out of it soon. My adult slowed down in November and is now back to himself. Cameo has taken his place and dong what he did but just a bit later. Last year when she was only 3/4 months old she didn't slow down at all. Cameo is the opposite to yours though, she wont eat pellets but will eat weeds which are not easy to find right now. Oh and weigh her now and then to see if she is losing weight, she may lose some but as long as it's not vast amounts she will be fine.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
JoesMum
Hatchling

Joe is much the same at the moment. He eats well straight after his bath, but can't be bothered to do much else. That said, I've just checked on him and he's currently attempting escape... for the first time in a couple of weeks!

Tortoises are experts at being picky eaters. They will eat if they're hungry. So if you want to wean her off pellets, don't feed them and just feed the green leafy stuff. A healthy tortoise can survive 3 weeks easily without eating (soak daily to ensure hydration). Think picky child, grit your teeth and stand firm... you're in charge!
Old 20-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
LUVLEE
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by stells View Post
If the temps are right... and good light levels the tortoise should stay awake... and wouldn't know to hibernate...

What are your temps like... including night time temps?
Under basking lamp 35c cool end 22c. At night around 17c
Lights are on 12hrs 7am while 7pm

1 Husband
2.0.0 children
1.1.0 Grandchildren
[URL=http://s1083.photobucket.com/albums/j400/LUVLEEJU/?action=view&current=DSCF0137.jpg][IMG]http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j400/LUVLEEJU
Old 20-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
LUVLEE
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan queen View Post
I wouldn't worry, she's just slowed down for the winter. My 16 month old is the same right now. She isn't waking up unless I get her up, and she's not eating as much as before. Just give her a warm bath everyday and offer her food. She will come out of it soon. My adult slowed down in November and is now back to himself. Cameo has taken his place and dong what he did but just a bit later. Last year when she was only 3/4 months old she didn't slow down at all. Cameo is the opposite to yours though, she wont eat pellets but will eat weeds which are not easy to find right now. Oh and weigh her now and then to see if she is losing weight, she may lose some but as long as it's not vast amounts she will be fine.
I've just weighed her and i'm pleased to say she is still gaining weight she is now 67g which surprised me as the only food i've seen her take is the pellets on the occasional days ive offered them. On saying that this morning was one of those feeds.

1 Husband
2.0.0 children
1.1.0 Grandchildren
Old 20-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

It's a common post along with, my Tort will only eat Dandelion and Strawberries. If your happy with feeding one of the comercial diet's, once accepted these could be withdrawed for a while and other fresh food's offered/fed, to be able to feed both diet's in a weekly diet throughout the year is a doddle. Can take a bit of toughness, but an eye on weight,s/lengh .
Old 20-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #7
gwenq
Hatchling

Has she been wormed? This can affect their eating. If she hasn't been wormed put her in a shallow bath under the spotlight for 15-20 minutes. This encourages her to expel. Check the water for worms, you might need a magnifying glass as they can be tiny. This was a trick told to me by TLady years ago, it worked a treat for my tort. He expelled hundreds of tiny worms I could only see with a magnifying glass.

If she has been wormed I will tell you another way to change her eating habit, also told to me by TLady years ago when my tort would only eat fruit and nothing else.

Let me know how you get on.

Gwen
gwenq is offline   Reply With Quote