Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 20-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #21
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuna1971 View Post
Do torts spend all day every day basking in bright sunlight ?
Although the T5 is high output for a tube, at 12" it's still nothing like midday uvb levels in the mediterranean. So it's mostly doing what you say, providing the kind of uvb level that you get in the morning or afternoon.
Old 20-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #22
yuna1971
Adult

Some good points there Jonno.. (& thanks Arcadia John too)

But do torts either in tables/enclosures spend their entire time walking around and soaking it up? The further (goes for MV bulbs too) they are away from the source the less benefit they'll get anyway. So IMO if its a tube which goes from one end to the next unless they are spending the majority of their time at the right (most potent)spot...then the benefit surely isn't any greater than sitting rigidly in the most potent spot of a normal MV bulb??
I've often read on here that they don't spend all their time sitting out in the UVB 24/7 (correct me if I'm wrong) & even when outdoors on a hot sunny day.
xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025

Last edited by yuna1971; 20-11-2012 at 06:28 PM.
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #23
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

My torts were just saying there that they are very happy with their 2 year old combined bulbs

Good idea to keep a record though Ross
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #24
TillyTortoise
Adult

I will get some accurate readings from the ends of each tube a few inches away.

Also I have tested an Arcadia D3 100w I've had running nearly everyday for 12 hours since August 16th 2011 and it's showing 89 uW/cm² at 12 inches. I guess that's not bad.
Old 20-11-2012, 11:04 PM   #25
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by TillyTortoise View Post
I will get some accurate readings from the ends of each tube a few inches away.

Also I have tested an Arcadia D3 100w I've had running nearly everyday for 12 hours since August 16th 2011 and it's showing 89 uW/cm² at 12 inches. I guess that's not bad.
No it's not too bad......but it shows that the tubes really are a very useful uvb source as they should produce more uv at that distance than your mvb.
Old 21-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #26
Arcadiajohn
Hatched

Hi all,

With T5s we fully endorse the light and shade method. This is made plain on our website www.Arcadia-reptile.com

Reptiles do indeed need to be provided with the ability to bask in high strength exposure either from a lamp or if you are lucky enough to live in a hot climate outside. They should also be given ample opportunity to seek and use shade as is part of the D3 cycle again a full explanation of the D3 cycle can be found at the web address above. And they should have access to the gradient in-between.

It's all about self regulation. We know that reptiles and birds can see Uv, we believe that they can use thisngift to decide the exposure that they require at that moment and self regulate between basking and shade. They are the true experts and if this method is used you will very quickly see the animal use the gradient.

Now the trickmis to make the exposure zone effective. That means enough power over a wide enough area to be of use to the animal. It is my feeling that the sole use of M.V does not generate a footprint wide enough for many animals to use as the beam is very narrow and combined with high temps.

John
www.arcadia-reptile.com/reptile-care-books

Please join us on Facebook, Arcadia reptile
www.Arcadia-reptile.com
Arcadiajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #27
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
No it's not too bad......but it shows that the tubes really are a very useful uvb source as they should produce more uv at that distance than your mvb.
Although they are at the same distance for UVB measurement is it not the case that the tube is set higher than 12" when in actual use meaning a weaker amount of UVB than at 12"? The 100w bulb on the other hand is recommended at 8 inches which would mean it would be a much higher amount of UVB than at 12" albeit over a smaller area
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #28
yuna1971
Adult

That was sorta the point I was trying to make, Al....but you worded it better. I just babbled and lost the point in there somewhere.
With either the strip or the bulb...at one given point, the UV is going to be higher.
So again...I dont see the actual benefit of the strip. I just cant see a tort hanging around a precise point along one side (where the strip is), as opposed to hanging around one precise point under a MV bulb. Plus the bulb can be hung lower than a strip...

If you see what I mean...xx

Lily's Movie.

Last edited by yuna1971; 21-11-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 21-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #29
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

But they wouldn't be basking under a tube, but they would/could be active under a tube after basking.

Danny
Old 21-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #30
yuna1971
Adult

Well I guess you could hang a heat bulb in the middle of the area...or where the UV is at its most prominent. But again, in effect it would pretty much create the same conditions as what a MV bulb would do, wouldnt it? So isnt it an unnecessary hassle for the same effect? xx

Lily's Movie.