Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 10-08-2007, 10:00 PM   #11
chelonaki
Incubating

The state of the tortoise is very bad indeed...Well done the xxxxxxxxxxxxxx for rescuing and well done to Laraine for providing a temporary home for the tort that will be the tort's paradise for a while What a start for a good life

And well, if, and I emphasise the 'if', ignorance is not an excuse for any someone who takes on a tortoise, how much is it not an excuse for the state who has literally oppened all doors to let that happen, and has done almost nothing to prevent it?
If that person who had the tort was given some knowledge and guidance, would this happen? Probably not...
We are all responsible for our actions, but hardly ever are we the only responsible ones. Let us hope that xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (an dother rescue organisations for all other animals) will make some miracle soon...
Old 10-08-2007, 10:24 PM   #12
cruzer

OMG i cannot belive them photos !!!!! POOR<< POOR little mite !!! laraine well done to you !!!!
Question for anyone will the appearence of the tortoise get better ??? with a outdoor lifestyle and better food and care ??
Hope this little sweetie has a very happy long life with you laraine XXXXX cos you are looking out for her needs xxx
sharon xx
Old 10-08-2007, 10:45 PM   #13
laine21
Hatchling

I am just her temporary foster mum, and its a privilage as she is so sweet and shy. Because of her deformaties and problems, Tamie has been able wave that magic wand of hers to sort a very experienced expert permanent home for her to move to.
This little Russian princess really does need a very experienced expert carer, and her new mummy is all of that. I am just glad I lived close enough to be able to pick her up quickly and keep her safe until her permanent carer can collect her.

4 Leopard Tortoises, 2 Baby Herman Hatchlings, 2 dogs, 1 guinea pig, 2 daughters and 1 incredibly wonderful patient partner!
laine21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:51 PM   #14
cruzer

All i can say is bless all 3 of you !!!
you laraine for what youve done for her
her new mum !! and Tamie for making it all happen
Will she get better ???? or will she now be looking like this for ever ??? Does she eat weeds and good stuff ?
just cant get the photos out of my mind poor thing looks like shes gonna POP !!
I just hope she is going to be ok in the long run
sharon xx
Old 10-08-2007, 11:19 PM   #15
Nikki76
Incubating

Well done Laraine for fostering this little tort. It brings tears to my eyes seeing the pictures you have posted. I hope all goes well with the worming tomorrow. She needs some TLC which I'm sure you'll be giving lots of!
Nikki76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:02 AM   #16
Lyn
Adult

Thank goodness for people like you. Poor little girl But this is just the beginning for her. Now she can smile again.
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:41 AM   #17
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Poor little Russian Princess, she is gonna have a far better life now thanks to Tamie and Larraine rescuing her.

I feel sorry for the tortoise being treated this way by her unsuspecting former owner who unfortunately like so many others have followed the incorrect advice given by petshops on the correct husbandry for tortoises just to simply line their own pockets.

The only correct advice they are giving is how to kill a tortoise! They make by blood boil

I am really glad this thread is a sticky as it will serve to remind people that tortoise pellets and glass vivarium housing are totally unsuitable for 20th century tortoise keeping unless they want a very poorly tortoise who looks like they are bulging at the seems and looks like they are wearing a mini skirt.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:30 AM   #18
Becks
Adult

All i can say is OH MY GOD
Poor princess good on you for taking her on ... how on earth does the shell end up turning upwards like that
those pictures make me want to cry ...
i thought some of my rehomers where bumpy with bad shells but bless her she has to be the worst i have ever seen
im sure she will be fine now you cant turn back time but she will have a happy future now shes in the right care
luv Becks xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

horsfields ,redfoots ,southern and northan morrocans,
map turtle .

http://www.redfoottortoiseplace.piczo.com
Becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:22 AM   #19
pippin
Incubating

awww them pictures have brought a lump to my throat and tears to my eyes, im not being critical but the ppl who had her before must of surely realised something was wrong a while back. that isnt something that happens over night.
pippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:37 AM   #20
Tamie Milne
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippin
awww them pictures have brought a lump to my throat and tears to my eyes, im not being critical but the ppl who had her before must of surely realised something was wrong a while back. that isnt something that happens over night.
Sadly people see the pet shop staff as 'experts' and do not question the advise given.

The damage has been done and it is now all about giving her a better quality of life. She will be shown how to dig down, wormed, nails trimmed, beak trimmed, correct diet and one hell of a lot of tlc !!

Tamie
Tamie Milne is offline   Reply With Quote