Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 10-08-2009, 09:46 PM   #21
Star
Sub Adult

Hi everyone,

Just to let you know that Kirkie has been my saviour and come to the little torts and my rescue. He has taken the little man on for a while, just to assess his condition and is also having a vet he knows check him over.

I cannot thank him enough, and never thought that I would have panicked as much as I did, I think that the whole thing overwhelmed me and I freaked to think I couldn't help him, or might even make it worse for the little guy..It’s actually scared the living pants of me and I am not afraid to say that, so having Kirkie just assess him and advise me, is worth its weight in gold, thank you.

I have told kirkie that he can post some pictures here, to update me and everyone on his progress as he will be with kirkie for a little while.

I am glad that after he seen the little tort today, that he has reassured me, and talked me through so much, its eased my mind, it was a little like a mother fretting about her sick child, I can’t explain the panic that ran through me, but I was overcome with fear for him.

Thank you again to everyone and especially kirkie
0.5.0. Playful T.H.H / T.H.B
11 Tropical Fish
1 Bearded Lizard
Lots of Aspirin
Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:39 AM   #22
Beverley
Adult

Star you did the right thing and its great kirkie is going to help you.
It was very brave of you to take this tortoise on at all and then to realise you may be out of your depth, which is hard to do.
I am sure Kirkie will keep us updated and you may soon have this little one back.
My heart goes out to you and how you must have worried but never fear Kirkie is here
Old 11-08-2009, 10:02 AM   #23
Kirkie
Adult

Default For Star

Star,

Thought this might cheer you up. Today he is being a proper tortoise, basking and eating. He walked the six foot length of his table to get to those Dandelions

Gotta go, were off to the V.E.T.S (didnt want to say it in front of him)

Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:19 AM   #24
Star
Sub Adult

Hi Beverley, thank you for your kind words
All I want is for this little guy to be in the best hands possible, I am not afraid to admit I need help, I would rather do that than ever risk the health of my torts. I felt very frightened when he arrived and I seen this little guy (I have asked kirkie to give him a name, he is officially his godfather)
He looked so far from what I am used to, and I just needed to be reassured that he will be ok and that everything I do for him, is for his greater good, I couldn't live with myself if I thought anything I did caused him harm or didnt improve his condition.

Kirkie,

Thank you sooOOooOoOOOOOOOOoooo much for the pic, he is already looking much brighter, your magic rock is definitely working its magic hehe. Its cheered me up loads

I can never thank you enough for helping us. It was definitely Kirkie to the rescue.
Will talk to you after the vets, good luck
0.5.0. Playful T.H.H / T.H.B
11 Tropical Fish
1 Bearded Lizard
Lots of Aspirin
Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:36 AM   #25
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

I love it when everyone pulls together, to me, it's what it's all about.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:27 AM   #26
julietaylorf
Incubating

good luck with him, thank goodness he is with you now
julie
julietaylorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:08 PM   #27
naomij
Incubating

how kind you are getting the extra help,, i hope once back from the vets news is not all bad/negative for the poor thing.
naomij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:16 PM   #28
Hazel
Juvenile

Fingers crossed for the vet trip!
Well done on taking him in and asking for help, I'm sure he's destined for a long and happy life with you.
And very kind of Kirkie to offer help...great to see the pic of the tort eating
Old 11-08-2009, 12:37 PM   #29
Kirkie
Adult

Were back. I've spoken with Star and given her the full report from the vet but in summary the tortoise is suffering from severe calcium deficiency which is the cause of the collapsed look to the shell and the softness of it.
So lots of calcium and UV exposure required. I spoke to the vet regarding Zocal-D and she thought it a good idea so Ive got hold of some.

The damage inflicted by the dog is well healed though I've been advised to keep it clean using a solution of F10 ( in preference to tamodine, due to the anti fungal properties of F10, this is precautionary) and a tooth brush to remove any old, dead growth.

She (note that Star, have to have rethink on the names) is having some mobility difficulties but she had begun to use the back legs more today. Again calcium/mineral deficiency is the likely cause.

Apart from this she is ok. She has a real gleam in her eye, I think the will is there 100% we just need to work on the way.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #30
naomij
Incubating

lovely to read this xxx with the correct care she will be fine yes? how long does it take once they are in that state?
naomij is offline   Reply With Quote