Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 09-08-2009, 11:09 PM   #11
Star
Sub Adult

I have all the above, and will be giving him everything possible to help. I think I am scared, and panicking...because I feel so out of my depth.

When I was contacted he was described as healthy and well, apart form the dog damage which hadn't caused any issues (they said). I know I was naive but my heart broke when I seen his little face and the condition he is in

I just want to hug him, but he is so freaked out and looks so lost that I know he needs to be left until seen by a vets.

I feel so helpless
0.5.0. Playful T.H.H / T.H.B
11 Tropical Fish
1 Bearded Lizard
Lots of Aspirin
Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:25 PM   #12
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Star, deep breaths, hun.
i've seen torts in a far worse state than this, a friends for one, just after it had been chewed by a dog. Once you get over the shock and he has been asessed by a vet then you will know what you're up against, and what you can do about it. Things may not be as bad as you think. We're all here to help in any way we can xxxx
Old 10-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #13
lindso3000
Adult

Send a message via MSN to lindso3000

I hope hes ok please keep us updated hunny x x x x x x
Old 10-08-2009, 03:35 PM   #14
kreacher
Sub Adult

Oh thank goodness he's with you in a nice new loving home...my tort was treated badly (nowhere near as bad as that however) and she sprung back within a few months so just keep at it and I'm sure he'll be fine.
Good luck please keep us posted xXx
kreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:56 PM   #15
janeL
Sub Adult

Star, it can be daunting at first, but you can do this! I expect with your care, love and knowledge he will become a really healthy little tort, with just a few scars to remind you of how you have changed his outcome. I really look forward to hearing about his progress and over the years I look forward to seeing pics of him as he grows and develops into a much healthier looking tort.

Hermanns THB 2:3:0
Algerian TGG 1.2.3
Ibera TGI 0.1.0[/CENTER]
janeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:13 PM   #16
Star
Sub Adult

Hi Everyone,
Thank you for the really kind words, I am very glad he s here and no longer in the place he was.

Bindi, I can not thank you enough for your input, I hear you have had ill tortoises and are experienced, so I am glad to hear about success stories

I was aware of the torts dog attack which apparently happened two years ago. You can see the missing section in the pic. Its not so much the missing section that has frightened me, but his overall condition.

From what I was told, he has never had UV Rays, he lived in a kitchen but in what condition in that kitchen, I am not aware off. His owners said he was fit, apart from the missing section, but this seriously is not the case.

He seems riddled with shell root, over his Carapace and plastron as well as in the bridges, including along the wound area. He is also very small 9cm and is a 2002 tortoise, and very flat, he has no height to his shell, its as if he was trodden on and has flattened right out. His Plastron is so flimsy it feels as if its about to come off in my hand, and its so flexible. When he moves his little legs, his under shell makes an awful sound, grinding almost.

He isnt moving his legs well and drags, he also looks to be in some distress, I think I am just totally shocked, the owners seemed to believe that this tortoise was healthy. I was aware that he wouldnt be in the best condition, and would need TLC, but when he arrived I realised he needed serious help, which I am very happy to give, but just needed some expert advice and a fellow SW to advise me...I don't want to do anything that could harm this tort, I want to be able to improve his life as much as possible and hope that he lives as long as possible.

I am sorry, I know I sound crazed, but he is my first really sick tortoise and I guess I just needed a hand to hold.
11 Tropical Fish
1 Bearded Lizard
Lots of Aspirin
Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb

Last edited by Star; 10-08-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:29 PM   #17
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Lots of hands here on SW xxxx

Old 10-08-2009, 04:41 PM   #18
Star
Sub Adult

Hi Bindi,
Thank you so much x

You have all been great, and I have to thank you all for offering to help and giving me advice. Without your help I think I would have been so over whelmed
11 Tropical Fish
1 Bearded Lizard
Lots of Aspirin
Old 10-08-2009, 05:15 PM   #19
Evie
Sub Adult

Thankfully he is with you now and he will be loved and cared for - I hope your trip to the vets gives you some positive comments and with the correct care he may make some progress.

What ever happens at least you are giving him a chance.

Good luck with him

Anne x
Evie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:21 PM   #20
janeL
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi View Post
Lots of hands here on SW xxxx

Awwww B ya big softie LOL

Hermanns THB 2:3:0
Algerian TGG 1.2.3