Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 07-07-2008, 09:08 PM   #11
bernards mom
Sub Adult

for the time being is there no way you could put something like paving slabs on the floor at least next to the door and then put your bedding on top of that?
dont you just love our summers!!!

sarah
Old 07-07-2008, 09:23 PM   #12
lilacgeorge
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to lilacgeorge

Shed was put up properly - the ground is slightly uneven but according to spirit level shed was straight. There are gaps round the doors - not much I can do bout that - may be due to uneven ground.. Shed was sold as treated but they did recommend another coat - which I haven't done (oops!). Its not a shed-shed its a bicycle/tool store shed as I couldn't find the right size shed cheap enough! You were obviously very lucky - me, just unlucky! The rain we just had was exceptionally heavy - torrential non stop for a few hours - not seen rain like it in a while...

I've got bubble wrap on the floor and a deep layer of bedding on that, just unfortunate that the bedding round the door got wet

2.1.2 ~ THB

Frank ~ Tallulah ~ Grace ~ Archie ~ Teefa ~ Mollie

0.0.1 Bearded Dragon ~ Freckles

lilacgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:25 PM   #13
lilacgeorge
Sub Adult

Oh yeah.......mate! (kitty) don't think you've got away with that comment!!!!! You nasty person you!!!! With friends like you and all that!!!!!!

2.1.2 ~ THB

Old 07-07-2008, 09:39 PM   #14
DAISY
Adult

You could try putting a plastic trim around the inside of the door frame that over laps so when the door is shut it covers any gaps.
Hope you know what I mean
Do you have holes cut out as doorways for the torts where the rain gets in, perhaps make some kind of slopping roof over this

Mum to 12 horsfields, 2 redfoots, 2 spur-thighed, 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, 3 chipmunks, 3 african pygmy hedgehogs, 4 bearded dragons, 1 goldfish. 2 daughters and 1 husband.
DAISY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:47 PM   #15
lilacgeorge
Sub Adult

heres a picture of said shed....

the doorways for the torts are only small semi-circles and the floor slopes away from them so that the rain doesn't sit in front or go in the doorways. So not sure what else I can do there.. I'm gonna go to b&q on thursday and see if they've gpot any thing there I can use....

2.1.2 ~ THB

Old 07-07-2008, 10:03 PM   #16
DAISY
Adult

Nice shed. Good luck.

Mum to 12 horsfields, 2 redfoots, 2 spur-thighed, 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, 3 chipmunks, 3 african pygmy hedgehogs, 4 bearded dragons, 1 goldfish. 2 daughters and 1 husband.
DAISY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:18 PM   #17
terrypin
Adult

hi Dawn what sort of roof does it have,the worst of the water should just run off .my little ibera tortie lives in a hutch on his own(we never talk about the relationship with the chicken) and it is really dry in there .i always make a good slope to the roof and make sure it is plenty wider than the actual hutch/shed.sorry for all the pictures but dont often get an excuse to show you tortie
terry

Old 08-07-2008, 05:47 AM   #18
lilacgeorge
Sub Adult

HI Terry,

Yeah the roof is sloping and overlaps - funny enough the roof is the only area that rain didn't go through!!! THe sides and doors were like a sponge the rain just soaked through...I will put a couple of coats of varnish on and see if that helps...

And excuse me! You don't need ANY excuse to show off your gorgous torts! Even if they do have a strange relationship with a chicken

2.1.2 ~ THB

Old 08-07-2008, 08:55 AM   #19
Dazza
Adult

looks ok its off the ground, probably just one of those situations where wind was blowing in the wrong direction at the wrong time and it got soaked..

Is your shed away from the fence at the back so the rain can run off at the back ?

if not the water will collect on the roof and run down the side whoch COULD have been your problem with the wood taking up the water !

dazza
Dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:55 AM   #20
Laraine
Adult

Send a message via Yahoo to Laraine

You can get small guttering for shes and greenhouses, and have the run off going into a water butt.

There is a fence and wood coating with wax in, which should be fine for the outside of the shed to stop water seeping in through the wood.

Cuprinol rollable fence and shed, has the wax in which it states makes it water repellent. We just got a load to tart up the ancient fence, and the colours and the finish it gives the wood is brilliant. a lot of places have fence stuff on offer at the moment, so you may get a good deal.
Although its rollable, you can still use the old fashioned brush method and give it a good thick coating.