Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 06-08-2008, 08:39 AM   #81
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Oh my! What absolutely beautiful photos! They are both gorgeous little torts, 'm so pleased your sister got some more, thank you for sharing them and tell your sis that I hope her hands improve soon

Bindi
Bindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:53 AM   #82
SpanishD
Juvenile

Lucy, I'm so sorry to read of your loss but how wonderful that you have two baby tortoise to care for and love. I'm sure they will be very happy with you and I hope your hands are feeling better soon.

Louise xxx

Keeper of leopard tortoises
Springer spaniel......Molly
Blue and Gold Macaw.....Merlin
Blue fronted Amazon......Monty
Love Bird....Scooby
SpanishD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:06 AM   #83
Sylvia1
Adult

Hello Lucy - your new babies are beautiful

3 hermanns, 2 leopards, 2 german shepherds, 5 cats, 3 tropical tanks
Sylvia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:28 AM   #84
wildjac
Egg

So sorry to hear your sad news. Thinking of you.
Jacquie
Old 06-08-2008, 02:05 PM   #85
Beverley
Adult

Great pics, Lucy's sister
Lucy they are beautiful and I am sure they will give you hours of pleasure, really cute tortoises

Beverley
Old 06-08-2008, 10:33 PM   #86
rachel30b
Sub Adult

they are lovely torts, sure they will give you hours of pleasure watching them

5 hermans, bob, frank, simpson, marmalade and johnson
rachel30b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:10 PM   #87
queenofjericho
Egg

Default Hello!

Thanks for all the lovely, lovely messages. It's been SO frustrating not being able to write in! I've still been reading the forum, my hands have just been too bad for typing. Particularly thanks to Lisa and Madhouse (sorry, can't remember your real name off hand) for your PMs. Was really nice to get them and will answer as hands allow!

My sister, Alice, has been great. When I decided to get another tortoise, it was part of the plan that Alice would have one and I the other one. She's just 16 and lives with me and my husband half the time as our mother died a few years ago. I don't know how she'll cope next week without seeing them! It's the perfect arrangement really, I was worried I'd find it difficult to feel really excited and enthusiastic so soon after Florence's death, but Alice swept me along with hers. She's read up SO much on everything too, it's great not to feel like I'm the only one who knows the best way to look after them.

So in theory Myrtle's mine, and Nettle's Alice's, but in practice of course they live together, Alice does loads for them when she's here and the rest of the time my PA, husband and I look after them. They are frighteningly tiny after a 2 year old! Aren't they completely perfect at this age, I'm so worried about spoiling them!

Actually, right now BOTH tortoises escaped about half an hour ago(the enclosure in the picture was a v temporary one till their new one's sorted) just when I'm on my own in the house for the first time in a week! Completely terrifying, as I can't get to my wheelchair to put them back! Thank god now both have fallen asleep - at opposite ends of the room, I can see both of them and they're out of trouble. It's a real shock, as we thought this small enclosure would be ok for a week or so while we make a new one. COMPLETELY underestimated their incredible escaping abilities and unstoppable energy! I've no idea how they got out today as we were convinced, again, that we'd moved things round so they couldn't.

Thank god in 20 mins Alice and my husband are coming back with their new enclosure and (touch wood) they'll never be able to escape again. By the way, for anyone that's worried, we had made sure that all doors were closed and there's nothing unsafe on the floor just in case it happened again, so I've been as sure as I can be for the last hour that they'll be fine really, just terrifying as they're so small..

I was wondering, lots of you must have lost tortoises like I have. What were your experiences of getting another one? It's funny, I love these two and want to look after them as perfectly as possible, but they also make me feel a bit sad sometimes because they remind me of Florence but aren't her. I hope that doesn't sound like I don't care about them, because I really do. I just still miss Florence so much.

On a practical note, I'm REALLY struggling with the thing of not feeding them very much. Anyone got any tips? I know how important it is, I think it's just hard to get your head round one week trying desperately to get an ill tortoise to eat anything, then the next week holding back while these ravenous babies try to eat wood! Is it normal for them to try to eat absolutely everything? I mean fingers, plastic, their log, stones, EVERYTHING! I'll feel a lot better when my new digital scales arrive I think, then at least I can check and see if I'm over-feeding or starving them.

Oh dear, now I've written loads and my hands are not happy!

Thanks again to all of you, hope you're all having as much fun with your torts as I am with mine!
All best wishes, Lucy
queenofjericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:20 PM   #88
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Lucy,

They are both gorgeous torts.

Yes the scales will be the best investment you make regarding not over feeding, also things like nutrobal daily, limestone foulr availability and a light misting of the enclosure will all contribute to having a nice smooth shell.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:18 AM   #89
queenofjericho
Egg

Thanks Ade.

My new water spray arrived today! Quite tragic, but was genuinely excited... Also their new enclosure has a humid area.

I was wondering, does anyone have any guidelines on how much limestone and nutrobol to get into my babies? We are really struggling to get both into Nettle. They've got a dish full of limestone in their home and Myrtle can't get enough of it, but however much we cover Nettle's leaves with the stuff she'll find a green bit, or even push it into the water so that it all comes off! At the moment we're trying not to give them anything that isn't covered in both, but it's a real struggle!
Is that the best way to do things?

Best wishes to everyone, Lucy x
queenofjericho is offline   Reply With Quote