Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 13-07-2010, 05:47 PM   #21
TortBabe
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
I got a pressure sprayer from asda for £3. you pump it up with the plunger thing on top then just press the trigger and it wets it in no time. BTW, the deeper you have the soil when you first put it in, the longer it keeps damp underneath and doesn't break up into grains of dust, only on the surface
Alan still can't get my sprayer to work Courtney can get it to work but I can't bloody thing (Sorry for hijacking Carla)
Old 13-07-2010, 05:49 PM   #22
TortBabe
Adult

I hope she is ok Carla, it reminds me I must get a ceramic heater, just in case it would be handy to have in
Old 13-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #23
joanna
Adult

If you cant get in the vets straight away I'd be tempted to also clean her front legs with F10 solution or something similar incase there's an infection. Hope all goes well and the vets can see Sandra soon.
joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 06:24 AM   #24
SeeShell
Adult

Hope the vet sorts this out for you.
It sounds like rns but this is no problen to treat. Keep the temps up. Another option, in terms of night time heat, is get a red reflector lamp and connect to a dimmer switch (I have a habistat dimmer) and this can add a little extra heat when needed. When I first got my tunisian spur thigh a while back he had a wee bout of rns. I kept the temps up, used the red night lamp (it only comes on a little if a little heat only is needed so doesn't light up the enclosure like a Christmas tree!) and also had a convector heater attched to a timer which came on if temps dropped below 22. At this time of year though it's warmer so room temp will probbaly be sufficient. The antiboitic I got from the vet was Baytrill but this will depend on the species of tort you have. Touch wood the rns cleared up in 10 days and hasn't been back.
Let us know how you get on at the vets.
SS
SeeShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 08:43 AM   #25
clanks76
Hatched

Thanks all. Got the lamp etc yesterday so her wee house is sorted and she's getting bathed twice daily. She's eating etc great so hopefully the vet can take me today to get her on the antibiotics asap.

Thanks for all the advice, it's been brilliant!

0.0.2 TGI - Sandra & Sadie
clanks76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #26
TortBabe
Adult

We're thinking of you both today am glad she is eating thats always a good sign! Big hugs for you both!
Old 14-07-2010, 02:41 PM   #27
clanks76
Hatched

Still waiting for vet to call me, doing my head in!!! Can't even make an appointment until the vets rings me to confirm he will be in tomorrow.

Booked a day off to take her so i'll be there waiting anyway!!!

Old 14-07-2010, 04:04 PM   #28
Hubba Bubba
Incubating

how is she doing???
Old 14-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #29
clanks76
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubba Bubba View Post
how is she doing???
Vet finally rang me back, got an appoinment for tomorrow, he said it sounds like RNS and she'll probably just need some antibiotics but nothing to worry about as it's very common.

I'm a big worrier so will not settle until I find out she'll be OK which will hopefully be tomorrow. I'm going to get her a full MOT to make sure everything is ok.

I'll keep you posted, thanks xx

PS The vet was going on about Microchipping and said it is required. I advised she was too small (she's only 11 months so still tiny). Do I have to get her microchipped? I didn't know it was a requirement. He said it should say on the cert? (sorry this is moving away from the topic a bit)

Old 14-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #30
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

No, only required when it's over 100mm (about 4 inches) and even then only if you intend selling it or breeding from it
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote