Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 27-12-2011, 05:14 PM   #11
and1ek
Egg

Yes that's so true! I check my tortoises all the time. I think I am getting obsessed!

4 Tortoises
2 Persian Cats
2 Labradoodles
and1ek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 05:29 PM   #12
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

I have put back into hibernation before swapping method's, to be sure if your Tort should go back in i don't know, some now agree that all hibernation with what method carries a risk. It also could be many unknown's like genetic ect. The glucose one shot as been mentioned by James is explained, been able to break hibernation then going back down in the wild, i dont know how.
Old 27-12-2011, 05:59 PM   #13
jamestaylor18
Hatched

Checking frequently isn't being obsessed it called be a responsible owner!! Well done for spotting your tort was awake and well done for continuing to check!! I do tend to check on my little guys every other day!! So if ur obsessed I'm obsessed! Better safe than sorry tho
x1 Tree Frog (Freddie)
x1 Corn Snake (Nessie)
jamestaylor18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 06:10 PM   #14
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

They do get very variable temperatures in the wild and have been known to come up and go back down again. Pumping glucose into the organs only helps if the animal freezes in the winter time. The glucose prevents the organs from freezing and rupturing. The only tortoise I know that does this is the Horsfields tortoise as they can take body temperatures of 29F (-1.5C). Even animals that do do this, like North American Box turtles, can come up during mild weather and go back down again. I've had it happen with my box turtles and they have been fine.
Most problems during hibernation are that the tortoise was sick when they went in, not in good condition when they went in or get dehydrated. That and the possible rodent attack or getting to cold, below 0C.
So giving a tortoise a drink once a month during hibernation will cause no problems. Tortoises don't hibernate like some mammals, ie being asleep, they just get to cold to function. So when cold they are just slower than they would be if their body temperature was higher.

Danny
Old 27-12-2011, 06:19 PM   #15
and1ek
Egg

Hi Danny
Would you recommend bathing a tortoise monthly whilst in hibernation to prevent dehydration? What are the symptoms of a dehydrated tortoise?
Hibernation is such an interesting topic it's great to get opinions. I have never had a problem until now as temps are so mild.

4 Tortoises
2 Persian Cats
2 Labradoodles
Old 27-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #16
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Well a drop in weight would probably be the first clue and probably the best. Another would be sunken eyes. Pinching the soft skin and seeing how long it takes to go back to the way it was can help to, but that can be affected by how cold the tortoise is also, so not the best method with a cold tortoise.
If in doubt, give them a drink.

Danny
Old 27-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #17
and1ek
Egg

Absolutely!
Thank you for your advice

4 Tortoises
2 Persian Cats
2 Labradoodles
Old 27-12-2011, 07:11 PM   #18
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Thank's for the input Dan , enjoy the rest of the Christmas Andrea.
Old 28-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #19
Shelled Lady
Juvenile

Tortoises will always come to the surface if it is warm. If you have ever had a tortoise hibernate in the garden, this is what they do. When it gets colder, down they do. In this way they self regulate. This is what they will do in a box. As long as your tortoise has been healthy, there should be no problem. None of my tortoises would be drinking in hibernation, even given the chance but I guess if wide awake and functioning, they might. Would be interesting to know if anyones actually do if put in water and go back in hibernation. I would be inclined to think that if your tortoise was wide awake enough to be able to drink, then you would need to get it out of hibernation. Whether any research has been done on this, I don't know. Baring in mind the tortoises system slows right down in hibernation, how would the water rehydrate the tortoise? Would it just sit in the stomach? We all know what food would do if left in the stomach, it would kill the tortoise!
Shelled Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 11:20 AM   #20
Kirkie
Adult

It's been incredibly mild here this year and it's only been below 10C during the day on a few occasions. My Hermanns have dug themselves in but some days some are up in the morning (mainly males). *I'm able to provide them with heat and light where they hibernate so if any are up, the lights go on and they are allowed to bask and drink. I'm inadvertently trying the cooling method I use for box turtles on the tortoises. They've been down for eight weeks, in another four I'll bring the temps up artificially day and night. I cant recommend it as a method yet but the tortoises that are reappearing are in good shape.

To answer the question on water above, during hibernation a tortoises bladder acts as a receptical for all the urea produced as well as supplying the bodywith water. The more dilute the urea, the better so the more water in the bladder the better. An opportunity the flush and replace the bladder contents;ideal.

I understand the comments about the release of glycogen post hibernation in that its an energy burst rather than a hibernation aid (as in box turtles) but my personal view is its not a one shot, all or nothing release. I do recommend getting some carbs into a tortoise post hibernation. Fruit or reptoboost baths work for me.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hibernation