Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2015, 09:03 PM   #1
CherryBrandy
Adult

Default Wild, livid or Pet

what are TK's thoughts on Tortoises are wild animals. For instance quite a few books state your tortoise is not a pet , it is a wild animal, don't cuddle it..... that's like saying don't kiss the fluffy ears of your dog because it is a wolf.

I am firmly in the camp of they are a pet, (mine)they act like pets (racing over to me ,climbing on me). They are domestic in house/garden and distinctly not in the wild. CB
Old 11-11-2015, 09:18 PM   #2
Gordon
Adult

I think mine are both they love me when they want food and all other times they totally ignore me and do their own thing.
And as for trying to give them a cuddle and lick their ears when I do they either poo on me or pee on me but don't seem to do it when I miss out the ear lick.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:18 PM   #3
sandy
Adult

They are wild animals kept in captivity:0)
Mine are treated mostly like they are wild. They will come over to me, but only for food. I wouldnt dream of letting them climb over me, as I personally think thats wrong for for them.
You cant train them, you cant take them for a walk, you cant potty train them, you cant let them out on their own and expect them to come back.
I do talk to them, but of course they have no idea what I am saying:0)
Mine are just not domesticated.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:27 PM   #4
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
They are wild animals kept in captivity:0)
Mine are treated mostly like they are wild. They will come over to me, but only for food. I wouldnt dream of letting them climb over me, as I personally think thats wrong for for them.
You cant train them, you cant take them for a walk, you cant potty train them, you cant let them out on their own and expect them to come back.
I do talk to them, but of course they have no idea what I am saying:0)
Mine are just not domesticated.
Mine understand me are you using the correct language for where they come from.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:03 PM   #5
CherryBrandy
Adult

cant keep a good tortoise down ! If I am weeding for instance (blasphemy!) Banjo will come over and noses around and will crawl on me. That's a pet. Lettie will chase me, Tarq likes his shell rubbed. Hettie will nibble toes. Earl Grey will run over when he sees the weed bag....You can't train a boa constrictor pet or wild.....it is just interesting peoples different approach because it is a tortoise, books say don't interact, but isn't that the joy? - suppose it is what you would define as a pet.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:21 AM   #6
alley cat
Adult

If I remember correctly someone put a link on here once about a tortoise that was clicker trained as an experiment or something? I won't be able to find it as my search option has not worked for ages (if anyone can sort that out I would be extremely grateful!!)
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:10 AM   #7
Pussygalore
Adult

I think you have to have an interest in any reptile as a species to want to keep them unlike a dog/cat, most will ooohhh and ahhhhh over something furry and cuddly but don't see a reptile in the same way. I never considered mine as pets but had a lot of pleasure from caring for them and always felt I was constantly learning more the longer I had them and was very interested in their behaviour etc where as Milo my chi/papilon sleeps and eats with us and has taken the place of the grown up children, we don't go anywhere he can't come to. When we had horses again they were part of the family but not pets in the same sense as the dog.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:44 PM   #8
emma_mcraf
Adult

I see mine as pets. They aren't allowed to wander in the house but stay in their pens, indoors and out, but Theo in particular knows who I am. He literally runs across to me whenever I pass by and I have to stop to rub his head or under his chin and he loves it. The others aren't quite so passionate about receiving attention. They seem to enjoy a nice rub of the head but won't dash across for one like Theo does. It's not just because Theo associates me with food either as sometimes the kids, particularly my daughter, helps out with food or the food is placed on his tile while he's in the bath. He doesn't run to anyone else like he runs to me.
I believe they can form a bond with us. Perhaps it's the tone of my voice he recognises but if Theo is outside in his hide and I call his name, he'll immediately come. I can call the others' names but they don't bother coming to investigate if they can't see me. Theo always comes.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:16 PM   #9
Jan W
Sub Adult

Well, Bertie and Beatrice love me so they are pets!

Perhaps on a more realistic note; they do respond to my voice and will look at me chatting to them. They seem to enjoy being stroked under their chin. They do come to see me too when we are outside. They do not do this with my husband or rest of family,

I bathe them indoors and after that they have a walk round the kitchen and utility room until they decide to find a dark corner, then return to their home. I did this originally because they didn't seem to want to walk anywhere most of the time and I was worried about deformities as they grew. They came at 2 years old and I do not think they were used to space.

I may as well admit my weaknesses.

However, I do have to assure you that I am trying to ensure they are cared for in the most natural way that I can.

Jan
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:25 PM   #10
Hermione15
Egg

This is interesting! I always saw them as pets, but since I've been on several forums I decided this was my mistake as they are wild creatures. However, I actually think that ALL pets are tamed wild creatures, some retain more of their wild habits, but essentially I need to respect their natural instincts and habitat as much as possible whilst enjoying them as a pet- companionship, cuddles (well, not exactly from a tortoise!) and being able to care and provide for them. Hermione is becoming much more relaxed with me, and she definitely listens when I talk to her! And now knows that I provide her food- most importantly
Hermione15 is offline   Reply With Quote