Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 04-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
Watermelon
Adult

Default Fao Sarah and komodo pellets

Hi Sarah,

Could've sent you this in a message but thought it might be useful to other forum readers.

I saw on the SW fb group on your post regarding selling nutrazu that you wrote 'People find it hard to provide a varied diet in the winter and Nutrazu are a EXCELLENT alternative. Not like Trex or Komodo. Alot of zoos use Nutrazu.'

Is there anything wrong with komodo as that is what I have been feeding mine for the last year. I'm a bit worried now. I was looking at getting mazuri but shall I get the nutrazu instead?

Does anybody else have opinions or advice on this? Thanks
Watermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:50 AM   #2
Watermelon
Adult

Okay thanks Kelly, do the flavourings or colourants do any harm to tortoises or are they just not necessary? Is there anything else negative about them compared to the other pellets such as nutrazu etc? Thanks
Old 05-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Nothing wrong with Komodo at all and is fine to use, i use it myself in the winter. Kelly has explained this very well thank you.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
EJ
Adult

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Komodo or Trex. They are most likely very similar to the other diets and might even be the same diets repackaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watermelon View Post
Hi Sarah,

Could've sent you this in a message but thought it might be useful to other forum readers.

I saw on the SW fb group on your post regarding selling nutrazu that you wrote 'People find it hard to provide a varied diet in the winter and Nutrazu are a EXCELLENT alternative. Not like Trex or Komodo. Alot of zoos use Nutrazu.'

Is there anything wrong with komodo as that is what I have been feeding mine for the last year. I'm a bit worried now. I was looking at getting mazuri but shall I get the nutrazu instead?

Does anybody else have opinions or advice on this? Thanks
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
Watermelon
Adult

OKay thank you Ed and Kelly, feel relieved now. I will finish my box of the komodo and maybe try something without the colourings.

Last edited by Watermelon; 05-01-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
Watermelon
Adult

Okay maybe a question for you ed or kelly. Everyone who hates pellets says they are bad because of the protein... but some people who feed pellets prefer mazuri for example compared to what I feed komodo. However if the protein is pellets is a bad thing (which I dont know) then wouldnt the komodo be better as komodo is 9% protein and 12.5% fibre and mazuri is 23% protein and 11% fibre. I assume that tortoises need some amount of protein so is the protein in pellets a bad thing or do they actually need that much as what is in the pellets? Would be interesting to read anyones opinion... as the next time an anti pellet person says they are bad for protein maybe I'll have something to say back in defence.. if there is defence that is. Thanks

Last edited by Watermelon; 06-01-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:25 PM   #7
Feebee
Egg

I am also really interested in hearing what people think about this. Is the reason that nobody has answered because nobody ACTUALLY knows the nutritional requirements or our torties?

Feeb X
Feebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:02 AM   #8
EJ
Adult

This is a good assumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feebee View Post
I am also really interested in hearing what people think about this. Is the reason that nobody has answered because nobody ACTUALLY knows the nutritional requirements or our torties?

Feeb X
and
Old 07-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #9
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

It's been noted that what mediterranean tortoises eat in nature doesn't have much fat or protein and that it is high in fibre. There have been various studies into what the wild ones eat but of course that is nto the same as knowing nutritional requirements.

One argument goes that food in captivity should aim to be something like food in nature since this is what the tortoise's digestive system is designed to deal with. On that basis we wouldn't be be looking for 10% protein, but to me it's unclear what harm an excess of protein (if it is that) would do.

A herbivorous tortoise in the mediterranean is normally on a low protein high fibre diet but they don't have any choice and just eat what there is.

Some pellet foods have quite a lot of fat in them but I think a wild med tortoise would hardly find any fat. There must be a good reason why pellets generally have levels of fat and protein in them that are far above the diet in nature.

It's not just for filler since that is what the grain is for. The pellets are basically chemical soup attached to grains. Neither the chemical soup nor the grain is like food in nature but it might be delivering ideal nutirtion.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #10
EJ
Adult

Wow... impressively put... seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
It's been noted that what mediterranean tortoises eat in nature doesn't have much fat or protein and that it is high in fibre. There have been various studies into what the wild ones eat but of course that is nto the same as knowing nutritional requirements.

One argument goes that food in captivity should aim to be something like food in nature since this is what the tortoise's digestive system is designed to deal with. On that basis we wouldn't be be looking for 10% protein, but to me it's unclear what harm an excess of protein (if it is that) would do.

A herbivorous tortoise in the mediterranean is normally on a low protein high fibre diet but they don't have any choice and just eat what there is.

Some pellet foods have quite a lot of fat in them but I think a wild med tortoise would hardly find any fat. There must be a good reason why pellets generally have levels of fat and protein in them that are far above the diet in nature.

It's not just for filler since that is what the grain is for. The pellets are basically chemical soup attached to grains. Neither the chemical soup nor the grain is like food in nature but it might be delivering ideal nutirtion.
and