Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 11-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #21
Catwoman63
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by claygreenaway View Post
Thanks Alan, here is the latest pic we have of her. She's 125mm

Ahhh she's lovely and looks totally healthy to me xxx

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #22
claygreenaway
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman63 View Post
Ahhh she's lovely and looks totally healthy to me xxx
Thank you, she is amazing and fantastic company, she constantly makes me laugh with her stuntman antics which involve climbing onto the roof of her house and then leaping off.
I will give the hibernation a miss, couldn't bear anything to happen to her.

Clay
claygreenaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #23
Merlin M
Adult

Quote:
Thank you, she is amazing and fantastic company, she constantly makes me laugh with her stuntman antics which involve climbing onto the roof of her house and then leaping off.
I will give the hibernation a miss, couldn't bear anything to happen to her.

Clay
Oh mine loves to do that too!! they are great fun to watch!!
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #24
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Thanks Alan, here is the latest pic we have of her. She's 125mm

It's hard to tell from that photo and I'm not very good at it anyway but a picture of both top and underneath would be better and quite close up so that the tort fills the frame. From the pic you have there though I would say that it could easily be older right enough. It could be that it was wild caught and survived a few long harsh winters.

If you want to post the pics put them in the sexing and ID thread and they will get spotted easier
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #25
Shelled Lady
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Hi Ed,

What's with your current obsession with 'Natural' and 'Wild', aren't these captive animals being kept out of their natural range. I was just pointing out one possible scenario for your vague statement below.

"If you insist on putting the animal through hibernation... the more natural the better."

I've never preached on the "Natural Aspect", I'm just pro fridge hibernation compared to the more traditional (rat lunch) box method. (I've not tried any other methods so I don't like to advise or comment on them.)

I'm not in any 'camp', if a keeper prefers not to hibernate that's fine with me.

Regarding "TOTAL CONTROL", actually I don't have control over all of the hibernation, my girl winds herself down, she hasn't quite learnt how to turn her heat lamp on and off yet so I tend to do that for her. But she decides to stop eating and how much heat she wants and at the moment that isn't a lot.

As you have pointed out I do have 'total control' when she is in her fridge, I gradually drop her temperature down to about 5.5°C over a few days, she will then lose less than 2% of her body weight over an 'unnaturally long' hibernation.
Totally unnatural, but it works and after I get her up she is a very perky big girl, running around and eating in under 48 hours.

Just so you know she also has an unnatural glass covered house with an unnatural heat lamp or two, a couple of square foot of unnatural thermostatically controlled under floor heating, unnatural additives on her food which for the most part are plants that she probably wouldn't find naturally in wild. Etc etc etc.............................
Well said......
Shelled Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #26
Shelled Lady
Juvenile

Quote:
Well....... I'm no expert, but I managed ok last year.
She has her heat lamps to dance around in and I give her a lush warm bath a couple of times a week which seem to give her some form of an appetite.
I'm sure we'll be very happy together.

I have to say I'm surprised how touchy people are on here, I only asked 1 question but I feel like I've commited a sin.
You haven't committed any sin. You were looking for a bit of advice that's all. You will get plenty of differing advice. Some of us have kept tortoises all our lives, others only for a short time. Some live in different country's, so have different ideas as well. At the end of the day, with all the advice you have gleaned on here, you have to make up your own mind on what is best for you and your tortoise. I wish you well.
Shelled Lady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hibernation