Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 23-03-2016, 11:24 AM   #1
Andy Robertson
Hatched

Default Pneumonia

Just the other day I lost my Male THHerc to Pneumonia. Max was a picture of health for the years I had him, my most active tortoise always eating well, hibernating and chasing after the ladies.
Anyway after coming out of hibernation Max was slightly groggy than his usual self, with something covering his right eye and ear, this pealed away after a good soak.
For a couple of days he was eating small amounts and active, but not like he was running around.
On day five he hardly moved, and was very lethargic so I decided he needed the vets, first visit they mentioned a possible ear infection and maybe a kidney problem. One shot of AB, vitamin jab and some fluids.
The day after Max had picked up and managed to eat, although I had to feed him myself, he did also empty his bladder, which made it clear it wasn't a kidney problem. That same night Max was struggling to breath, head extended and mouth gaping. I was also using a Nebuliser twice a day to help with his treatment.
Next mornings visit to the vet included another jab of AB and some X-rays, these showed he had Pneumonia.
Next day Max was up and about eating by himself and walking around his enclosure.
All looked good and it felt like he was on the mend.
Unfortunately after this Max was still slightly active, but constantly gasping for air along with rubbing his face with his legs. He wouldn't eat and was also bringing up what I can only describe as phlegm. As Mick said this is a good sign that the treatments are working.
Anyway Max never made it and past away early the next morning.
The point of this post is to make tort owners aware of various symptoms to look out for especially after hibernation, I consider myself to be an experienced Tort keeper, but this took me by surprise and at how quick things happened. (12 days from coming out of hibernation)
I hope this post helps other Tort owners on certain symptoms that indicate early signs of something is wrong.
Andy Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 04:54 PM   #2
emma_mcraf
Adult

Andy, I'm so sorry to hear about Max. What an awful thing to happen but thank you for posting so those who hibernate can be alert to the signs of pneumonia.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 05:27 PM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Robertson View Post
Just the other day I lost my Male THHerc to Pneumonia. Max was a picture of health for the years I had him, my most active tortoise always eating well, hibernating and chasing after the ladies.
Anyway after coming out of hibernation Max was slightly groggy than his usual self, with something covering his right eye and ear, this pealed away after a good soak.
For a couple of days he was eating small amounts and active, but not like he was running around.
On day five he hardly moved, and was very lethargic so I decided he needed the vets, first visit they mentioned a possible ear infection and maybe a kidney problem. One shot of AB, vitamin jab and some fluids.
The day after Max had picked up and managed to eat, although I had to feed him myself, he did also empty his bladder, which made it clear it wasn't a kidney problem. That same night Max was struggling to breath, head extended and mouth gaping. I was also using a Nebuliser twice a day to help with his treatment.
Next mornings visit to the vet included another jab of AB and some X-rays, these showed he had Pneumonia.
Next day Max was up and about eating by himself and walking around his enclosure.
All looked good and it felt like he was on the mend.
Unfortunately after this Max was still slightly active, but constantly gasping for air along with rubbing his face with his legs. He wouldn't eat and was also bringing up what I can only describe as phlegm. As Mick said this is a good sign that the treatments are working.
Anyway Max never made it and past away early the next morning.
The point of this post is to make tort owners aware of various symptoms to look out for especially after hibernation, I consider myself to be an experienced Tort keeper, but this took me by surprise and at how quick things happened. (12 days from coming out of hibernation)
I hope this post helps other Tort owners on certain symptoms that indicate early signs of something is wrong.
Vitamin jabs do nothing for tortoises, unless they have been diagnosed with vit A problem and mostly this happens with Leopards.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 06:10 PM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

Andy how awful for you and good for you posting such an upsetting story to help others. What I have found is whether you take torts to the vets or not, have heat or not, tlc or not sometimes the worse can happen for no apparent reason. It amazes me how tortoises caught it (being that they need to be soooo cold to hibernate) and I have racked my head when my beautiful large whitei tortoise last year just passed away with what I think was pneumonia...was she too hot, too cold, did I do enough , she was gaping, then she wasn't, she had phlegm then did seemed ok and the next day after seemingly ok she just slipped away and Ive sort of beat myself up about it ever since. The fact is she got older and her immune system probably got weaker over the years and then she picked up pneumonia...very sad, thoughts are with you, CB
Old 23-03-2016, 06:43 PM   #5
Stellanne
Hatchling

Thank you Andy for telling of your experience and I am sad of the outcome. But for me it just indicates what a lottery hibernation can be and those who argue that if hibernation is done 'right' then the outcome is always positive.

For me I see hibernation as a lottery.... You have a 'healthy' tortoise (who knows what is going on behind the scenes). The tort hibernates in whatever method you feel comfortable with and fingers crossed your tort wakes up. Then you do whatever is necessary once your tort is beginning to be active.

I think that when you realise things are not as they should be you put yourself in the hands of people who can help you. However, it is so hard to know what is exactly going on inside that shell. X x x xhugs x x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 09:07 PM   #6
Jan W
Sub Adult

Dear Andy
Thank you so much for sharing such a sad story. You are right, this really helps other tort owners and it is much appreciated. I have been so lucky so far, two 8 year olds and no health issues as yet.
Sadly it is just like humans, these infections can just take over and sometimes there is nothing more that can be done to prevent or cure it. Even worse, if the pneumonia is caused by viruses then antibiotics won't help. It is hard not being able to understand what is happening. It sounds as though you and your vet tried everything.
Best wishes