Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 06-06-2016, 08:48 PM   #1
jhider
Egg

Exclamation help - possible RNS? need advice

returned from holiday one week ago to find one of my tortoises to have very loud breathing and a runny nose, since then she seems to struggle to breathe from her nose from congestion and it is constantly running (and bubbling). We've taken her to the vets and they have put her on daily antibiotics (Baytril) for one week.

I was wondering if there is anything else I can do to aid her, she really seems to be struggling and although she is eating, it is much less than usual. We're having to give her the antibiotics by injecting it into fruit so if anyone else has any suggestions on how to get it into her that'll be great.

FYI we believe she's a spur thigh, she is approximately 40 years old, lives outdoors with 3 others.
jhider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 03:53 PM   #2
Scrooge
Egg

Anyway you can up her heat?
Scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:29 PM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhider View Post
returned from holiday one week ago to find one of my tortoises to have very loud breathing and a runny nose, since then she seems to struggle to breathe from her nose from congestion and it is constantly running (and bubbling). We've taken her to the vets and they have put her on daily antibiotics (Baytril) for one week.

I was wondering if there is anything else I can do to aid her, she really seems to be struggling and although she is eating, it is much less than usual. We're having to give her the antibiotics by injecting it into fruit so if anyone else has any suggestions on how to get it into her that'll be great.

FYI we believe she's a spur thigh, she is approximately 40 years old, lives outdoors with 3 others.
You must keep temps higher at night, for the abs to work properly.
If she is eating then thats is good, as if really bad they go off their food.
If you can post a picture, we can properly ID your tortoise for you:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:48 PM   #4
Suze65
Adult

She will need to be on antibiotics for two weeks , this is a full course of treatment just like humans, and as has been said you need to keep her temps up at 30c at night. If you can get hold of a nebuliser, you could try steaming her to help clear the nares. Baytril doesn't always work, depends on what's causing it.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:03 PM   #5
CherryBrandy
Adult

sorry to hear this Jihider and hope she gets better soon.

You could try also reptroboost, or critical care baths in warm baths. Irrespective don't forget to bathe her as she will dehydrate under lights. One theory is very dry and dusty environment can trigger RNS and inflame the tracts. I also found some good advice in Vit A baths....Carrott baby food. Hipp organic carrot or a veg variety is v good, mix in warm water but keep the warmth if you can. though others may advise 20 minute soaks I have had success with torts in 7 min soaks on baby food. CB