Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 15-10-2014, 02:10 PM   #1
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Talking Ozric's Hermanni Hermanni breeding project

It's not a question really but I just decided to post something about my little project.

I've been keeping some little hermannis for about 8 years now and all of them were really small when I got them. They were about a year old but from a couple of different sources and on three buying sprees over that time so I've got a spread of sizes and ages.

As anyone who has kept the smaller hermann will tell you, they really are a fair bit smaller than the other sub species. Also mine have mostly been really quite slow in growing but I'm not in any rush.

I have still a bit of an excess of males although a coulpe of them have gone to other keepers. Now I know why people say the females are like gold dust! Nothing would part me from the 3 'big' ladies that I'm hoping will produce a new generation of these lovely tortoises.

The largest one dug a nesting hole this year and I was incredibly excited. I kept a close eye on her as she went about the job. It did take a long time and I had to shout out to my partner to get cups of tea brought out into the garden, as I didn't want to miss anything.

Well after very carefully digging the hole she did a couple of laps of the enclosure and then filled it in without laying anything. I'm told these phantom nests are quite common. But it's a good sign that she is reaching that age when she can reproduce.

I'm not 100% certain that any of my males can actually get the job done right although they have plenty of enthusiasm!

Now the pets are indoors and like many of you I have to grapple with the thorny issue of hibernation. It seems most people agree that the chances of sucessful breeding are increased by hibernating the females. Unlike some keepers I never have any problems keeping them up.

I've got the sexes separate indoors and the males have mostly stopped biting each other so things are fairly calm.

Within the next few years I'm hopeful of being at the next stage and no doubt sending panic messages to Danny and Babbs at every stage of proceedings. It might even be summer 2015!
Old 15-10-2014, 02:43 PM   #2
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Sitting ready for the messages Jonathan

Danny
Old 15-10-2014, 07:29 PM   #3
emma_mcraf
Adult

What an interesting post. Good luck with them Jonathan!

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 07:55 PM   #4
lonelylayla
Sub Adult

I'm looking out for the next chapter now - great post Suppose we will have to wait for spring now

TG Terresteris 1:3:1 Apollo & Layla, Santa, Helpa & Unig
TG Iberia 2:3:0 Tonka, LJ, Persephone, Cleo & Clyde
Saffron TGG RIP Jaunary 2019
Jasper, Harry & Ruby pussy cats
4 ex bat hens.
lonelylayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 10:45 PM   #5
Andy Robertson
Hatched

Sounds like you have a very good group of breeding torts in the making, good luck and hopefully we will get some Hermanni updates in the future😃
Andy Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 11:15 PM   #6
Kirkie
Adult

Haven't been on here for a while.
In my experience with breeding Chelonia a cue is a sustained period of optimal conditions following a period of less optimal conditions.

If the conditions remain constant I've found a tendency with some species for the breeding cycle to become pretty constant. *To break this (give the adults a rest and I have no idea what to do with 40 odd baby mud turtles!) I now cool them a little through the winter months.*

This may vary species by species. I've had mud turtles laying throughout the year, box turtles triple clutching in a calendar year and just in the last couple of days I've had 3 spotted turtles lay after bringing them indoors after a less than ideal summer. Those eggs had probably been retained for a while but should still be viable.*

I think a lot of this is me not treating our summer as the peak of their year anymore and giving them optimal conditions prior to going outdoors and again when they come back in.

On the Hermanns front I usually get a spring clutch and some more at the end of the summer when they come indoors for a few months to prepare them for the winter. *I kept them up last winter due to other things meaning I couldn't give hibernating them my full focus and their laying this year has been very erratic and low. I honestly don't know if its linked or if the weird weather this summer has thrown them. I brought them in last weekend and have females pacing and digging today.

On the THH front I've found my female to be a really fussy layer. Paces for days and likes to lay under something (plant, 1/2 flower pot or similar) so a bit of cover. That might just be my one rather than a species trait though. My male THH is just rubbish, still no babies but shes not layed this year...yet.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 01:08 AM   #7
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Thanks everyone for your replies. It's good to know I'm not on my own with these mad reptiles!

Good to hear from you- Dave especially. It's a bit quiet these days and nice to hear your voice. And great to know that you are still breeding tortoises/ turtles.
Old 16-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #8
Suze65
Adult

I loved reading your post Jonathan, I wish you good luck with your breeding program. It's sounds very promising. I had to laugh when mentioned the cups of tea, in the garden, watching your tort dig, I have also done this, for about three hours, then she walked off ! Good luck

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 08:59 PM   #9
emmajh
Hatched

My females never laid fertile eggs until I hibernated them. Then I was inundated with them!
emmajh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 09:36 PM   #10
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Never hibernated mine and they laid plenty of eggs

Danny