Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 29-05-2014, 02:23 PM   #1
Andy Robertson
Hatched

Default Membrane

Hi everyone just a quick question,
I had three hatchlings last night, one had some membrane stuck to its shell like a noose around it, this I can see has made there shell look very wonky as it looks like it has been like that while it was growing in the shell.
Has anyone heard of this happening before?
The tort looked to be struggling to get out and was upside down when noticed in the incubator!
Tort is doing great, but as usual I'm away working so missed everything and had to give my wife instructions on what to do.
Thanks
Andy
Andy Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 05:57 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Robertson View Post
Hi everyone just a quick question,
I had three hatchlings last night, one had some membrane stuck to its shell like a noose around it, this I can see has made there shell look very wonky as it looks like it has been like that while it was growing in the shell.
Has anyone heard of this happening before?
The tort looked to be struggling to get out and was upside down when noticed in the incubator!
Tort is doing great, but as usual I'm away working so missed everything and had to give my wife instructions on what to do.
Thanks
Andy

When they hatch, they are still folded up in the middle of the plastron. They gradually straighten out over time. But can be very wobbly and can turn themselves over easily.
The membrane can be difficult to remove if it dries, but it will come off in time.
Don't worry if they don't eat straight away, but keeping hydrated is important.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2014, 01:55 AM   #3
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

If you soak the hatchling you can roll the membrane off the shell. Does it have any yolk sack left Andy?

Danny
Old 30-05-2014, 02:47 AM   #4
burnt toast
Adult

I had one the whole egg shell had stuck round it's back, so it had a strange shaped white shell. Walked round quite happy. Came off after lots of soaks and pouring water on and picking the shell and membrane off. Well done for getting her out Andy
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2014, 01:47 PM   #5
Andy Robertson
Hatched

Hatchling doing great, once I get home I'll get a picture up as I got my daughter to take one when my wife removed the membrane that was tight round her shell.
I know they are folded, but this looked like a piece of string had been wrapped round it while it was growing leaving two grooves behind the front legs.
My wife has said that it is less noticeable now, but she looks longer than my usual hatchlings.
Hard to tell properly until I get home.
Dan, yeah I did ask her to give her a good soak at the time to help remove it and all three did not have any yolk sac.
Lynne one of the other ones also had egg shell sticking on top.
I'm glad I work somewhere that has good internet, because I think it would have been harder to help over the phone
Thanks everyone.
Andy
Andy Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote