Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 24-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
LonesomeGeorge
Hatched

Smile Uv lighting.

Hello,

Could you please give me some advice?! Are the uv/uvb/uva bulbs just as effective as the uv/uvb/uva strips. I prefer the idea of a uv/uvb/uva bulb, as is more compact to have in the torts table.

Many thanks,
LonesomeGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

The bulbs also produce heat, which the strips don't. So with a combined uv and heat bulb you do get an all-in-one solution if it works well in your particular set-up.

When using a strip light for uv there will always be a need for an aditional heat source such as halogen lamp, and when using a combined bulb there is sometimes a need for an additional heat source and sometimes not. Depending which combined lamp you buy and the ambient temperature in the room.

My view is that the combined bulbs are a lot less reliable and end up being more expensive to run when compared to a strip light + halogen lamp. With a combined lamp the uv is focused around the heat and there are pros and cons to that as well.

The quality of light and the uvb from the best strip lights are superior to the combined bulbs and the uv is available over a much bigger area, leading to more uvb exposure for your tortoise.

Tags
lighting