Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-12-2015, 09:09 PM   #19
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan W View Post
How are things?

In humans you can buy chloramphenicol eye ointment over the counter, thinking eye ointment would be easier than drops. However, I would not suggest buying it as would recommend vet or expert advice first. I am no expert...

I had a look at a vet site and they do recommend chloramphenicol for tortoises. Also commented that swelling is usually due to a bacterial infection.

Not sure this helps, but if you are discussing with a vet, just thinking ointment easier to use.

Has anyone had any experience with this?
Yes I have used the ointment (golden eye) I used in conjunction with the drops I mentioned (same active ingredient. I preferred to use the drops during the day as I used them as a wash, first few drops. And used the ointment overnight, massaging it gently in all directions. I think once the eye is swollen shut its difficult to get them in contact with the eye, so I preferred the drops as water seeps everywhere and I felt the drops might do the same.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eye, hatchlings, hibernation, spur