Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 26-06-2015, 10:24 AM   #31
vikki
Hatched

I think this may be a better option as it is visible to everyone (no need for a scanner) and a much better deterent. I think there is a recent link on here about the ploughshare tortoises and they use a similar method to protect them so as long as it is safe and non painful then I think it is a good idea. I have always wondered why tattooing in dogs is not used more (I know it is a bit painful to be done but could be done using local anaesthetic/sedative) as again it is visible and as long as the database number was easily available to any member of the public then far easier than having to scan for a microchip and as long as any changes to ownership etc had to be accompanied by original documents then should be fairly effective as proof of ownership/liability. I know it will not be to everybodys liking but if a system is going to be introduced it surely far less invasive (no chance of chip moving/being too big) and less chance of chip failing (has been known to happen quite a lot)
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 01:10 PM   #32
Pussygalore
Adult

I didn't have any luck in finding out whether the freeze brand would work on a shell, but thought it might make a nice little 'job' for those interested in doing it. Either going to peoples houses or holding 'branding' meets for owners to attend, but like I said I couldn't find out anymore about either buying or using the brands, if everyone who did the branding had a different set of numbers to use say from 1-500, 500-1000 (example) with paperwork for those numbers or even on line registering I'm sure it would work. I know the same sort of thing works in horses but think the brand kills the pigment in the hair so showing the number and torts don't have hair. Engraving might work but would be more fiddly anyway most said they'd not want the shells marked although, owners used to paint their address on the shells which I suppose got the tort returned but anything not permanent would simply be removed by an unscrupulous person.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 01:55 PM   #33
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley cat View Post
My comment is not about an adult tortoise, it is about the tiny hatchlings and the size of the needle in relation to the size of the hatchlings leg, it is like stabbing a javelin in with no pain relief! I am not opposed to any other injections or microchipping but this is cruel when they are so tiny.
I agree, I think it's barbaric putting a great big needle and chip into such a tiny tortoise, there's no good reason for insisting on such small tortoises having to be chipped. I personally wouldn't chip a tort unless they were being sold or parents of babies being sold. None of mine will be done . Only the two adults I breed from just in case I sell any. If you don't need to put a foreign body in them, then I think best not to. But that's just my personal feeling for my torts. Although I would have a dog or cat chipped.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote