Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 13-09-2011, 12:27 AM   #1
paulus
Hatched

Default What to add to my hatchlings food?

Hiya guys and girls

After last nights chat box I'm a little worried about my hermanns hatchlings, I've been adding reptavite and ground up cuttle fish sprinkled over a range of different weeds and feeding it to them daily is this ok? I've been advised reptavite is lacking in calcium I thought I was sorting this by adding ground cuttle fish but maybe not, any thoughts?
I've now got some nurabol as well should I use this as well or on alternative days?
I also understand my 5.0 uv bulbs is too low, I think 10-12 was advised, I'm going to get a uv tube tomorrow to sort this.
Hatchlings are 3 months old could I have done them a lot of damage?

Worried keeper
paulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 12:34 AM   #2
Watermelon
Adult

I use nutrabol every day... think you do for hatchlings then as they get older... year and above you use it every other day am I correct anyone? sorry dont know what reptivite is! I have a cuttlefish bone too just incase they want some more. Yeah I think 5.0 is too low I was told 10.0 and 12.0 are too low still for hermanns but then again people on here have said different....exo terra bulbs 5.0 and 10.0 theres hardly any difference between them...they represented a british night time...uvb wise. You can check some lights out on UK UVB guide. I'm sure you havent done them damage x

Last edited by Watermelon; 13-09-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Watermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 12:39 AM   #3
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulus View Post
Hiya guys and girls

After last nights chat box I'm a little worried about my hermanns hatchlings, I've been adding reptavite and ground up cuttle fish sprinkled over a range of different weeds and feeding it to them daily is this ok? I've been advised reptavite is lacking in calcium I thought I was sorting this by adding ground cuttle fish but maybe not, any thoughts?
I've now got some nurabol as well should I use this as well or on alternative days?
I also understand my 5.0 uv bulbs is too low, I think 10-12 was advised, I'm going to get a uv tube tomorrow to sort this.

Worried keeper
nutrabol is used every other day with calcium ( lime stone floor ) used the days inbetween , i put cuttlefish in for them also. 5%uvb is a little to low for hermanns , a 12%uvb tube would be better .
Old 13-09-2011, 12:58 AM   #4
paulus
Hatched

Cheers guys, think I'm going to get a Arcadia D3 12% Reptile Tube, looked it up on the sw shop and it looks the best, will combine it with a reflector I already have. Will get some lime stone flour too if they have any.
Old 13-09-2011, 01:07 AM   #5
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Cheers guys, think I'm going to get a Arcadia D3 12% Reptile Tube, looked it up on the sw shop and it looks the best, will combine it with a reflector I already have. Will get some lime stone flour too if they have any.
this is better , i use them on all my tables.
http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/a...lamp-160w.html
Old 13-09-2011, 01:13 AM   #6
paulus
Hatched

Can I use this with a dimming stat? Or would I need a normal thermostat with this? Or do you use it straight on full time?
Old 13-09-2011, 01:18 AM   #7
EJ
Adult

You know my take on this. It's a common question especially with tortoises under 2 years... more so with those under one year old.

To the UVB... why is it 'too low'. Has somebody figured out the 'proper' amount of UVB?... actually yes but it was a study on Chameleons.

Tortoises give you a great deal of wiggle room. If they are not showing signs of ill health they are probably good... if the signs show up... it's close to too late.

Quote:
Hiya guys and girls

Worried keeper
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 07:51 AM   #8
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Can I use this with a dimming stat? Or would I need a normal thermostat with this? Or do you use it straight on full time?
no stat required , i've tested quite a few and these put out good uv , not enough and you start getting soft shell's
Old 13-09-2011, 08:14 AM   #9
EJ
Adult

Unless I missed something... you can't use a dimming stat with a tube bulb.

Quote:
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 08:20 AM   #10
paulus
Hatched

The bulb chris suggested is a combined heat and UVB bulb, well I think it is from looking at the link he posted so I thought this would replace the uv bulb and the heat bulb I currently have in place controlled by a dimming stat. But I could have got it wrong and talking a right load of old rubbish