Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #21
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan queen View Post
Errrrmmm.....You providing your tort with weeds is not a natural diet. How do we know if they are getting the correct amount of nutrients? Also supplementing the diet with neutrabol and calcium isn't natural and more likely to cause problems with over dosing than giving a complete pelleted diet.
hmmm, can i just ask what your basing this on ??? , after all there is no such thing as a complete pellet.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #22
Pussygalore
Adult

also unless you are a plantologist (if theres such a thing) its very hard to feed the right amount of different things, the majority stick to the dozen or so weeds/plants that they recognise or feel safe with and more often or not its just not providing the right balance of food. For those like me who aren't plantologists (and don't intend to be) adding pellets balances out my weed/plant diet. Nearly all of the pyramidding is caused not just by pellets but a combination of things, however overfeeding of the pellets is harmfull so a couple for a young tort, well soaked is plenty, not as the container says 'feed ad lib' even my adults only have half a dozen of one and a couple of another. I'd always say underfeed rather than the other way and always offer greens as well, if the tort is still hungry he'll move on to them, mine do.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #23
Atrinka
Incubating

I have tried mine with pellets and they won't touch them-I've mixed them in with their fresh greens and they refuse to even eat that when the pellets are mixed through , anyone any ideas how to get them to eat them as I want to use them periodically during winter they are zoo med grassland tortoise food.
1 7 cm sulcata
Old 07-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #24
TortBabe
Adult

You could perhaps try a different brand, such as Komodo or T-Rex pellets, they may prefer different ones
Old 07-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #25
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrinka View Post
I have tried mine with pellets and they won't touch them-I've mixed them in with their fresh greens and they refuse to even eat that when the pellets are mixed through , anyone any ideas how to get them to eat them as I want to use them periodically during winter they are zoo med grassland tortoise food.
i think grasslands are just fibre pellets which are fine to feed , try soaking them until they swell up and fall apart then mix them well in to the greens .
Old 07-09-2011, 07:47 PM   #26
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrinka View Post
Probably the will if you keep tyring, sometimes they don't take to them right away. They would probably eat T-Rex but don't know if that would do for a sulcata

Last edited by Alan1; 07-09-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #27
Tr@cey
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan queen View Post
I was using the word "you" as a term for the tort owner in general not you personally. You said, "the same as they would eat in the wild" I am saying we can not provide the same, so it can't be called a natural diet.

Let me rephrase - The only diet that we can be sure is good for them is a natural diet, the same as they would eat in the wild.

Any diet be it pellets, pellets/weeds or strictly weeds with supplements is not a natural diet in my opinion. And we cannot possibly know what the long term effects are.

Therefore in answer to the OP's original question - We are unable to give a catergoric answer either way on pellets.

2.3.0 Testudo Graeca Ibera
1.0.0 Cat
3.0.0 Kids (all grown up)
1.0.0 Husband
Old 07-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #28
Anita Sayles
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Anita Sayles

For me it's a weed/flower diet... I have some pre alpin and some flowers that I've been drying all summer, so I'll mix a bit of that into the fresh foods in the winter for variety.
I'm a pretty new keeper, no expert but I like the idea of a weed diet. As time goes on, it may turn out that I've made mistakes, but I'll be able to put my hand on my heart and say I did what I thought was best

Last edited by Anita Sayles; 07-09-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #29
NATURALIS
Adult

This graeca has lived in a garden in the uk eating just weed's since 1923 , he's never had any pellet's , my point is if it isn't broke why try to fix it .
Old 07-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #30
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

The natural ranges of torts is being taken over more and more by farmers, the torts are still there but they are eating the crops so in many cases in the wild now torts are actually eating the same plant every day, it will be interesting to see how that pans out in the years to come, whether they are still healthy, pyramided or whatever. I read somewhere that life expectancy in the wild is only 30 years anyway so no matter what they eat, they may reach that anyway
Closed Thread