Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 21-04-2011, 08:21 PM   #11
jamestaylor18
Hatched

Admittedly i do feed pellets on odd occasions. I personally prefer Komodo as they dissolve better than T-Rex i found. This time of year though they aint getting any at all. No need with all the weeds about now! Another thing i found with pellets is stupid weekly weight gains! I was finding that 10g/week was common when only feeding 2 days a week, which as we all know, just isn't healthy, expecially when one of my torts (Ted) is already a tad on the chunky side! (but ok on macintyre ratio though might i add!!).
x1 Tree Frog (Freddie)
x1 Corn Snake (Nessie)
jamestaylor18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 08:23 PM   #12
Box girl
Sub Adult

I feed the mazouri diet have been for the past few weeks. I soak in cold water then mush up with my hand and add to the rest of the diet. As others I use a 2-3% per weight of tort mix.

Money raised to Allwetter Zoo Muenster e6000 sent so far.

Have bred-red foots, yellow foots, eastern box, 3 toed box, ornate box, gulf coast box, common musk, elongated tortoise, red eared terrapin, cuora flavomarginata, cuora amboinensis, hermanns tortoise, horsfield tortoise, rhinoclemys.p. manni,
european pond turtle, reeves and spurs
Box girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 09:15 PM   #13
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Here's my Clover. She is 18 months old and gets Komodo 2-3 times a week.

Last edited by Petrus; 21-04-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Petrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 09:25 PM   #14
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
Here's my Clover. She is 18 months old and gets Komodo 2-3 times a week.

I'm not really talking about one you've only had 5 min's i was really meaning a tortoise that has had a pellet diet from the start , against one that's had a high fibre weed diet from the start.
NATURALIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 09:28 PM   #15
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Clover has been fed Komodo pellets since she was a few months old.

Anyway, I wasn't posting this picture in response to your little experiment, Chris. Others have already commented on how pointless your experiment would be anyway.

And this is a perfect example of the tortoise fascism that drives me nuts. It seems you're not allowed an opinion unless you've been keeping tortoises for a set amount of time. This really puts newcomers off and makes them nervous about saying anything.

Last edited by Petrus; 21-04-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 21-04-2011, 09:31 PM   #16
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Clover has been fed Komodo pellets since she was a few months old.

Anyway, I wasn't posting this picture in response to your little experiment, Chris. Others have already commented on how pointless your experiment would be anyway.
I really am begining to think i'm wasting my time , how can you say by feeding them a natural diet it's pointless ?, what do you base your comment on ?
Old 21-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #17
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by red foot marg View Post
I really am begining to think i'm wasting my time , how can you say by feeding them a natural diet it's pointless ?, what do you base your comment on ?
My comment doesn't relate to natural diet. It relates to your proposal to compare two tortoises. Others have said it would be pointless. But hey, what do I know? I've only been keeping tortoises for 5 mins. I should just sit in the corner and agree
Old 21-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #18
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
My comment doesn't relate to natural diet. It relates to your proposal to compare two tortoises. Others have said it would be pointless. But hey, what do I know? I've only been keeping tortoises for 5 mins. I should just sit in the corner and agree
I'm not asking you to agree , i was trying to see what the difference would be between the 2 , can i ask why you feed pellets, what are the benefit's ?
Old 21-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #19
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

The diet is high in fibre and low in protein. I've found feeding these pellets 2-3 times a week and weeds/greens the other days, made a big difference to my tortoises poo. It also gives them a bit of variety.

Why don't you tell me why I shouldn't?
Old 21-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #20
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrus View Post
the diet is high in fibre and low in protein. I've found feeding these pellets 2-3 times a week and weeds/greens the other days, made a big difference to my tortoises poo. It also gives them a bit of variety.

Why don't you tell me why i shouldn't?
lol !!!!!!!