Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #21
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

I have a regime when feeding, pellets on there own twice a week, miss one day, no food after one of the pellet day's, weed's/plant's/greens the other day's. All year.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:29 PM   #22
yuna1971
Adult

...and a partridge in a peartree

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
Old 06-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #23
NATURALIS
Adult

...two turtle .....doves....
Old 06-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #24
yuna1971
Adult

...and a tort -y hav-ing a pee.
((sorry....))

Lily's Movie.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #25
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
Extra fibre is a good idea all year round especially as we don't get the dried/dead weeds outside due to all our rain I'm still waiting for my sample but did try some other cobs years ago which they promptly ignored. I ended up giving them to the guinea pigs, they loved them, hopefully these new ones might be a bit more palatable.
They should be with you soon Ann, what i do with them is soak them in warm water until there all soft i then add weeds, greens etc , i give this a good mix up including nutrabol , it then sticks to the greens which is eaten readily, i think its a great way to add fibre to there diet and aid's there digestion.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #26
Torterra
Sub Adult

Interesting thread. Few first months i did not give anything apart from weeds and grass. In August I bought Zoomed Natural grassland Tortoise Food in preparation for winter months. She did not liked it to start with now she is eating it.
Content: chopped Grasses (Oat, Timothy and Alfalfa); Dandelion greens, Yucca and other plants that tortoises love; a source of live (viable) naturally occuring microorganismes.
Few weeks ago in one garden chntre I found other dried food which looked attractive and similar (at first sight) to Zoomed I have and I purchased it as well.
It is LuckyReptile HerbCobs. It is not complete food, only good for more fibre, content is only Hay. It has lovely strong grassy smell when added water, and has strong green colour. She did not touch herbcobs only eat Zoomed ones, which has pale yellow (boring) colour.
The Luckyreptile Herb cobs got 11.5% protein (hay only), Zoomed Grassland Tortoise protein is less, 9%, same in Komodo complete.
And I also have Komodo complete and they always preferred to any others, but as I read they dont have any grass only oats and maise, and calcium supplemet.
Anyway I cant wait when weeds start growing again, it is hard to find anything now.
0.0.2 Sternotherus Carinatus (Razorback Musk Turtle)
http://kinosternon-baurii.blogspot.co.uk/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 06-01-2011, 08:52 PM   #27
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torterra View Post
Interesting thread. Few first months i did not give anything apart from weeds and grass. In August I bought Zoomed Natural grassland Tortoise Food in preparation for winter months. She did not liked it to start with now she is eating it.
Content: chopped Grasses (Oat, Timothy and Alfalfa); Dandelion greens, Yucca and other plants that tortoises love; a source of live (viable) naturally occuring microorganismes.
Few weeks ago in one garden chntre I found other dried food which looked attractive and similar (at first sight) to Zoomed I have and I purchased it as well.
It is LuckyReptile HerbCobs. It is not complete food, only good for more fibre, content is only Hay. It has lovely strong grassy smell when added water, and has strong green colour. She did not touch herbcobs only eat Zoomed ones, which has pale yellow (boring) colour.
The Luckyreptile Herb cobs got 11.5% protein (hay only), Zoomed Grassland Tortoise protein is less, 9%, same in Komodo complete.
And I also have Komodo complete and they always preferred to any others, but as I read they dont have any grass only oats and maise, and calcium supplemet.
Anyway I cant wait when weeds start growing again, it is hard to find anything now.
Oat's and Maize is a grass, Poaceae family that is now cultivated, the green leaves of oats and maize is not much different to feeding any meadow grasses.
It would be hard not to find in any untouched meadow grassland, wild oat grass, wild maize grasses. Good for tort's digestion.
Hense the saying sowing your wild oat's.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:58 PM   #28
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 shells View Post
Oat's and Maize is a grass, Poaceae family that is now cultivated, the green leaves of oats and maize is not much different to feeding any meadow grasses.
It would be hard not to find in any untouched meadow grassland, wild oat grass, wild maize grasses. Good for tort's digestion.
Hense the saying sowing your wild oat's.
I saw the zoomed stuff - is that complete? Would you recommend it?
Old 06-01-2011, 09:25 PM   #29
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
I saw the zoomed stuff - is that complete? Would you recommend it?
Pellet's there nearly all of a much ness now, but i would feed both diet's when possible fresh and pelleted, what is easier to get hold of and easier on the pocket, they differ slightly on protein but not massive and no one know's how much protein certain species need, as long as it is on the low. If you need to add more fibre add finely chopped Timothy Hay to the damp weed/green's feed, finely chopped it will stick to the damp plant feed. To respose to the Yucca ingredient in some pellet's i found this a while ago, Yucca contains Saponins it can combat Protozoal diseases, which some can kill animal's, that's one reason it is added.

New applications for saponins in animal husbandry are being explored, especially the effect of saponins on protozoal diseases. Saponins form strong insoluble complexes with cholesterol. This has many important implications, including cholesterol-lowering activity in humans, discussed later in this article. Many protozoa enter the body via the digestive tract or cause their pathological effects in the gut. Saponins react with cholesterol in the protozoal cell membrane, causing the cell to rupture and lyse. Giardiasis (beaver fever), for example, is a disease with symptoms of severe diarrhea associated with the protozoan Giardia lamblia, often found in untreated drinking water, that can infect the small intestine. Research currently in progress at Agriculture Canada in Lethbridge, Alberta, has shown yucca extract to be very effective in killing Giardia trophozoites, which are the infective stages released in the gut when the oocytes, or eggs, sporulate, although no studies with humans have yet been done. Other important protozoal diseases of livestock, including coccidiosis and equine protozoal myoencephalitis, may be amenable to treatment with saponins. Ruminant animals (cattle, sheep and other cud-chewing animals with a complex stomach) have a large population of rumen protozoa. The rumen protozoa reduce the efficiency of fermentation in the rumen, and increases in animal performance often occur when the protozoa are removed (a process called defaunation). Yucca saponins are effective in suppressing rumen protozoa, again by reacting with cholesterol in the protozoal cell membrane, causing it to lyse.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:33 PM   #30
yuna1971
Adult

Babble...

Takes over from Al (and his UV readings...) and enough big words there to even make Kirkie's posts seem easy to read...

"....The rumen protozoa reduce the efficiency of fermentation in the rumen"
"Other important protozoal diseases of livestock, including coccidiosis and equine protozoal myoencephalitis, may be amenable to treatment with saponins."

Lily's Movie.

Last edited by yuna1971; 06-01-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Closed Thread