Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 08:30 AM   #11
yuna1971
Adult

I think along side whatever weeds you can find, if you can find any, pellets are a good addition. I am using the Pre Alpen cobs which have grasses and dried weed content and provide good fibre. But I mix this with the few weeds I have found (not always the case depending on where you live and if the weather has hit them), and a bit of rommaine. I dont really use any veg in his meals. Although about a month back, I did put some green cabbage (steady Paul) into the mix. No need now though.
I think in less harsher winters, people would have their winter flowers & plants prepared and growing...but with all the snow and frost, its a struggle.
However, during spring summer months...I wouldnt have the need to use the cobs really. There would be weeds in abundance. I might still mix it into the odd meal or 2, once or twice a month - if anything else to keep Lily familar with the taste as it did take me a few weeks to coach him into eating it. He now nose dives into it !!

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
Old 06-01-2011, 08:41 AM   #12
Pussygalore
Adult

Sorry to butt in yuna but can I point out, in case the poster doesn't know, the 'cobs' in question are not I beleive a complete food the same as Komodo, so giving them as extra fibre in the summer isn't the same a s feeding a complete. I think you'd get far to much growth feeding a complete if the tort has an abundance of others foods in the summer months where as in the winter when many resort to salads a complete could provide the missing vitamins etc.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:56 AM   #13
yuna1971
Adult

Thats right Ann. They arent. But I do think, a good accompaniment and a good source of fibre, say in place of something like Ribwort plantain for winter. Fresh is always better though if you can get it!
They serve a purpose. I think if the poster wants to read about them, Kirkie started a thread in the weed section I believe...! xx

Lily's Movie.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:21 AM   #14
Pussygalore
Adult

Extra fibre is a good idea all year round especially as we don't get the dried/dead weeds outside due to all our rain I'm still waiting for my sample but did try some other cobs years ago which they promptly ignored. I ended up giving them to the guinea pigs, they loved them, hopefully these new ones might be a bit more palatable.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:43 AM   #15
yuna1971
Adult

I add a little cucumber rind, sounds stupid I know. I dont intend to keep doing this but this is how I coached Lily on to many new weeds where he didnt go for them...at first! In due time, he just developed the taste - now all those weeds are fed with nowt.
I put very little, its mainly just a bit of rind and drizzle. I mix this up in the moist dampened cob...and he really seems to enjoy now. In due time, I shall leave it off though. But for now, it forfils its purpose! Try that trick, Ann. xx

Lily's Movie.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:43 AM   #16
Anita Sayles
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Anita Sayles

I've ordered a tin of PRE ALPIN Testudo Baby for Marley.
I haven't fed pellets, that's not quite true I did twice (T-Rex) when he was settling in as he wasn't eating very much.
I've managed to muddle through the winter so far with weeds, bit of salad, and he has readigrass with dried flowers sprinkled around the table, he eats the flowers and the grass.
I thought I'd use the Testudo Baby mixed in, on the days when he has a limited choice of weeds/salad for whatever reason.
It's a 300g tin I think and Marley is 6 months old so it will take me ages to get through it.
I think above all else variety is what we should provide - I'm quite lucky I work at a garden centre in the country, all around me is hedgerows of wild flowers, fields etc... also the winters here are generally mild. TBH I haven't really struggled to find food so far this winter.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:44 AM   #17
yuna1971
Adult

I also in the beginning had to hold bits out, like offer it by hand. Lily just took more and more, now I just leave him to it... although for those who have lots of torts...probably too time consuming! xx

Lily's Movie.

Last edited by yuna1971; 06-01-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:08 AM   #18
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

One day recently when there was madness in the shops I accidentally bought Crisp & Sweet Cos Hearts in M&S thinking they were Sweet Romaine lettuce since they just looked like Romaine. Only when I got home I discovered they were Cos. I looked up Cos on the Wiki and discovered that Cos and Romaine are the same thing

Old 06-01-2011, 11:54 AM   #19
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

so, all in all, the moral to the story is....variety!
Old 06-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #20
Anita Sayles
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Anita Sayles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
so, all in all, the moral to the story is....variety!
You got it!
Closed Thread