Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 13-07-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
rachel.mather
Incubating

Default Advice for a new owner please?

Okay so after finding out my little tort had worms I bought some kusuri tortoise wormer.
Have any of you used this before? How many times do I give it?
And I read about having to keep them on newspaper and disinfect everything in their enclosure?
How long will he need to be on newspaper for?
Hopefully someone can help, lots of conflicting info on the web!
rachel.mather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #2
Hanako
Hatchling

I have used it and it worked. The instructions don't really say how many times one has to use it and how many days apart. I have used it in their bath water, according to the instructions (if I remember correctly it was one scoop for 2 litres) and then I repeated it in a week. Then I waited a month and then had wormcount done and the tortoises were fine. I have no idea if the second dose was necessary, but the instructions not very specific.

I have also bathed them afterwards (every day for about a week) in reptoboost just to make sure their intestinal bacteria would renew itself, because I am not sure how harmful or not harmful this is for their stomach/digestion.

And just to clarify, I am not an expert, so this is what I have done. You can follow it if you want to but it is at your own risk.
Hanako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
rachel.mather
Incubating

Thankyou for the help, I think I might do something similar as it sounds like a good plan
Did you keep yours on newspaper and disinfect everything in the enclosure?
Old 14-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #4
cherylahutch
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel.mather View Post
Thankyou for the help, I think I might do something similar as it sounds like a good plan
Did you keep yours on newspaper and disinfect everything in the enclosure?
I would think that would be a good precaution when treating them with anything to help stop them reinfecting themselves.
Old 14-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
Hanako
Hatchling

I tried to keep them on a newspaper but after about a week I gave up. I just couldn't watch their unhappy faces. My tortoises seem to have me wrapped around their little toes and if they are not happy, I suffer nearly as much as they do!

Because I was worried that they will eat each others poops and reinfest each other with the worms, I started giving them warm bath twice a day and they were pooping into the water. It would be much easier to let them stay on newspaper for a month, but I really couldn't watch them being unhappy that they couldn't dig themselves in for the night.

Last edited by Hanako; 14-07-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 14-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
rachel.mather
Incubating

I know what you mean, it will be a problem for me too! My tortoise is never happy though, trying to climb or escape from anywhere! So I think he will hate the newspaper, although I might try it for a week or two.
Old 14-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #7
Hanako
Hatchling

Unfortunately mine are used to completely bury themselves into the substrate and newspapers are not allowing them to do so..