Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 25-02-2016, 02:05 PM   #1
Suze65
Adult

Default RNS and antibiotics

I thought I would share this with you all, sorry if I'm telling you something you already know, but I found it quite interesting. I've been to the vet today with one of my Margies, she has a slightly runny nose, but otherwise well. Last time I had a tort with RNS ( a few years ago) it was just baytrill straight away, but it seems things have changed, my vet said that now they don't dish out antibiotics quite so quickly, for the same reason as with humans , over use, and so they start by treating RNS with simply flushing out the nostrils for a few days with warm saline. I have been given the necessary kit to do this, and been shown how to do it, it might be a three people job. And then if this doesn't clear it up, try using a nebuliser and F10. They now will only give antibiotics when samples have been taken and a culture is grown, so they can then give a specific antibiotic. Again sorry if you already know this, but I thought it might be of interest.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 03:23 PM   #2
emma_mcraf
Adult

Hope the saline flushes do the trick, Suze.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 03:31 PM   #3
Gordon
Adult

Baytril is the way to go if you end up with a repertory infection it will take even longer to sort out.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 03:45 PM   #4
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Baytril is the way to go if you end up with a repertory infection it will take even longer to sort out.
Apparently not anymore, it's not the way they do it now, they are finding that simply flushing out the nostrils can and does work. Before giving antibiotics now, they have to take a sample and grow a culture so that they give the right antibiotic. Baytrill was a very general antibiotic. She does only have a very slight runny nose and is otherwise very well, I'm sure if she was much worse, my vet would have done a culture for antibiotics. Times do change and the way vets treat things.

Old 25-02-2016, 04:37 PM   #5
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze65 View Post
I thought I would share this with you all, sorry if I'm telling you something you already know, but I found it quite interesting. I've been to the vet today with one of my Margies, she has a slightly runny nose, but otherwise well. Last time I had a tort with RNS ( a few years ago) it was just baytrill straight away, but it seems things have changed, my vet said that now they don't dish out antibiotics quite so quickly, for the same reason as with humans , over use, and so they start by treating RNS with simply flushing out the nostrils for a few days with warm saline. I have been given the necessary kit to do this, and been shown how to do it, it might be a three people job. And then if this doesn't clear it up, try using a nebuliser and F10. They now will only give antibiotics when samples have been taken and a culture is grown, so they can then give a specific antibiotic. Again sorry if you already know this, but I thought it might be of interest.
Using F10 and a nebuliser has been around quite a long time, I used this around 10 yrs ago with one of my graecas. And it works well.
I think that the flushing has also been around a long time too:0) and is used quite a lot for things stuck up the nares. Which is sometimes the cause of a runny nose. And it makes sense to at least try non antibiotics (for those who are a little more experienced, because they know not to leave things too long) as they can and do work. Obviously if things have been left for infection to set in then abs will be needed.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 05:45 PM   #6
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
Using F10 and a nebuliser has been around quite a long time, I used this around 10 yrs ago with one of my graecas. And it works well.
I think that the flushing has also been around a long time too:0) and is used quite a lot for things stuck up the nares. Which is sometimes the cause of a runny nose. And it makes sense to at least try non antibiotics (for those who are a little more experienced, because they know not to leave things too long) as they can and do work. Obviously if things have been left for infection to set in then abs will be needed.
Yes, I think that's exactly the thinking behind what she said to me. But I do understand Gordon's concerns. I think if the tortoise was blowing bubbles and there was a lot of mucus in her mouth, and or her lungs didn't sound good, I'm sure they would go straight to the antibiotics. I'm sure antibiotics have been over used in animals as well as humans, and when and where they can, they try an alternative first, under close observation of course, I am watching her very closely. And not for too long if it's clearly not improving.

Old 25-02-2016, 06:16 PM   #7
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze65 View Post
Yes, I think that's exactly the thinking behind what she said to me. But I do understand Gordon's concerns. I think if the tortoise was blowing bubbles and there was a lot of mucus in her mouth, and or her lungs didn't sound good, I'm sure they would go straight to the antibiotics. I'm sure antibiotics have been over used in animals as well as humans, and when and where they can, they try an alternative first, under close observation of course, I am watching her very closely. And not for too long if it's clearly not improving.
Exactly any newbie always needs to consult a tortoise vet.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 07:18 PM   #8
CherryBrandy
Adult

that's why the vet didn't give me anti b's for the recently poorly one and a previous one I had in 2014. both times said foreign body is causing the rns and mucus build up. I used nebuliser and f10 (like f10 a lot - have soap also). the ones I have had anti b's for an squirted into the nostrils made them worse and I thought the fluid had got into their lungs . convinced in fact. What I don't ever get is how they suddenly get it - tortoises should be ok in cold weather into hibernation otherwise they would all get it going through a cold patch so why and how. one of mine has suddenly got it. luckily for me I have anti'b's.
Old 25-02-2016, 07:37 PM   #9
Gordon
Adult

The baytril I use goes is swallowed for the reason you say clair I would never blast it in their nares as if there is something in there where does it end up. If a tort has something in its nose surley it got there from the outside so why would it want to be pushed further in.
I keep a lot of types of tortoises that are very susceptible to rns and normally it's caused from to much humidity or them getting cold and normally I can sort it with nothing but a lot of heat.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 07:50 PM   #10
Suze65
Adult

Yes the vet did also say keep her warm. We did try to do another nasal flush this afternoon , I must be honest it wasn't easy, not very successful . I will just have to see how it goes. I have got a nebuliser on standby to borrow from my sister in law and some F10 . My vet didn't mention a foreign body as being the cause, the nasal flushing is to treat possible infection.

Last edited by Suze65; 25-02-2016 at 07:53 PM.