Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 18-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
gemzyfish
Egg

Default Orange urates?!? HELP!!

Hi everyone. I was wondering if it would be possible to have some help/comments/suggestions with my horsfield tort Henry.

I would say over the last three weeks he has become quite sluggish and has eaten very little on a daily basis. He was kept outside over the summer in the gorgeous weather in his outdoor enclosure, but I have brought him inside as its become very cold. Whilst outside he ate our garden weeds, dandelions, creeping buttercup with a few salad leaves thrown in.

I have been quite alarmed as the last three times he has urinated, it has been bright orange/pink in colour. I'm so worried. I bathe him at least three times a week, and have done so much more frequently since seeing the orange urine as I read that dehydration could be an issue?

He just did another wee and again it was orange. could this be a sign of something very sinister? Kidney failure? Bacterial infection??

Any help or advice is welcome. Thanks x
gemzyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
Catwoman63
Adult

A trip to the vets is in Order, some foods can turn it pinkish, but usually resolves by next wee x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
gemzyfish
Egg

Yea, I'm booked in for a week today... urgh it tears me up that he is like this.

I have just been reading the words "kidney failure" everywhere and fearing the worst...
Old 18-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
Catwoman63
Adult

Can they not get you in the vets earlier?

0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Old 18-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
gemzyfish
Egg

It is absolutely the only time I can get there, I'll be taking the day off work and driving 70 miles to Leeds... I spoke to the vet over the phone and who asked to see him. She said to keep up the regular bathing and offering food until they see him...

I feel like I'm not doing enough, it's awful.
Old 18-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #6
Catwoman63
Adult

Hydration is the key to help flush out the kidneys so will help x

0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Old 18-11-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
Blueginger1984
Incubating

My tort is currently on antibiotics for a bladder infection after his wee was pinkish and he also went off his food. My vet checked Darla's wee sample, it might not be the same problem with your tort? May be worth trying to take a sample of your torts wee if you can get one?
Old 18-11-2013, 10:35 PM   #8
alley cat
Adult

You mention what he has been eating over the summer but what has he had since being brought in?
I bought a tortoise once and was very alarmed to see her first wee as it was orange however, when I contacted the previous owner she told me it had been having carrots, after a few days of a weed diet the wee was normal again.
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 07:58 AM   #9
gemzyfish
Egg

Thank you for the replies guys.

I'm going to collect his next wee and take it in with me so that they can perhaps test it. I guess they will take bloods as well.

In terms of diet after being inside, I have brought in garden weeds, and he has had a few salad leaves, cucumber.. He's not had carrot lately. He is eating very little at the moment and turns his nose up at most things.

Anybody else have experiences with brightly coloured wee?!

Thanks
Old 19-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #10
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemzyfish View Post
Hi everyone. I was wondering if it would be possible to have some help/comments/suggestions with my horsfield tort Henry.

I would say over the last three weeks he has become quite sluggish and has eaten very little on a daily basis. He was kept outside over the summer in the gorgeous weather in his outdoor enclosure, but I have brought him inside as its become very cold. Whilst outside he ate our garden weeds, dandelions, creeping buttercup with a few salad leaves thrown in.

I have been quite alarmed as the last three times he has urinated, it has been bright orange/pink in colour. I'm so worried. I bathe him at least three times a week, and have done so much more frequently since seeing the orange urine as I read that dehydration could be an issue?

He just did another wee and again it was orange. could this be a sign of something very sinister? Kidney failure? Bacterial infection??

Any help or advice is welcome. Thanks x
Firstly no tortoise likes change, so once they come in from being outside, they will be different.
Pink urine and sometimes urates can be pink/ish when they eat too much of the same foods. And I would be more worried if it were green.
Always best to get it checked out by a tortoise vet.
Horsfields also, once the light levels drop, react a lot faster to winding down than most other species.
So the slowing down is normal:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote