Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 14-08-2017, 09:03 PM   #1
GraceBrenton2002
Egg

Default VERY lazy hermann tortoise?

Hi, when I let my 1 year old Hermann tortoise Alfie go outdoors in his enclosure he always stays in the same corner and goes to sleep. Whenever I go and check on him, he is always asleep in this corner and seems to be very inactive rather than out enjoying the sunshine on a warm day. Do you think there is a reason behind this, maybe he has some sort of health problem or is he just lazy?

Thank you, Grace
GraceBrenton2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 12:22 AM   #2
JerryMaffz
Incubating

This is normal behaviour for a tortoise of this age. It will feel quite vulnerable in an environment that it isn't used to and hide away.
My tortoise is usually very active for short periods of the day, hiding away for the middle part of the day. Perfectly natural behaviour.
Make sure your outdoor enclosure has plenty of plant cover this will help him feel more secure.
Also, the addition of a small coldframe will help with temperatures and promote greater activity

Testudo hermanni boettgeri 1:0:0 Jerry Maffz

Last edited by JerryMaffz; 15-08-2017 at 12:24 AM.
JerryMaffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 07:04 AM   #3
Suze65
Adult

I agree with Keith, your tort is very young, and by nature young torts in the wild spend much of the day hidden away, or they would be predated on, and his instincts will make him quite aware of prediters. So as Keith has said , give him plenty of hiding places, and a cold frame to warm up, he will be more active if he has a warming place, and just give him time to get used to the outside world.
At the moment all of mine are being very lazy, they think it's September !

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 09:54 PM   #4
Jan W
Sub Adult

Beatrice is 9 and she still spends more of the day tucked under the plants. She doesn't like it too hot and doesn't like it too cold! Drop in temperature and she is off to bed.
Old 19-08-2017, 09:11 AM   #5
CherryBrandy
Adult

yes as long as you feel you have the right husbandry then this is completely natural. The only extra I would suggest is if he falls asleep in the cold part he will have a little trouble getting going back to the warmer areas so you could intervene and make sure his shell isn't cold all day - depending on size the little ones warm up quick and cool down quick - so make sure don't over heat him either. If you touched the shell of a older larger tortoise even when the sun is down they are like little radiators - nature is quite remarkably. If you have ever touched a brick wall at night when its been sat in the sun all day its the same ...lovely warm surface area which retains some heat - so learn by touching the shell and watching behaviour and you will tell if too cold, and sometimes too hot....CB