Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 04-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
Watermelon
Adult

Default Thermometers

Right I'm quite confused

I need some or a new thermometer. My first one was the exo terra cheap dial one It always worked out alright for me even though it clouded up eventually. Then I got a digital one, worked fine for me though that one has gone bust past in past few weeks. I'm looking to get another now but several people have been recommending the infra red thermometers? Somebody said to me that you can measure the temp of the actual tort but that would mean core temp wouldn't it and don't they just measure the surface temps? I just want thermometers that tell the temps and that's it. I don't want anything fancy. Danny: You told me to get the most expensive/best one I can but what the difference between an expensive one and cheap one, don't they do the same thing just tell the temp? If anyone has any recommendations or advice that would be great. Thanks
Watermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

The more expensive, usually the less spread of the infra red beam. That way you get a better reading as it's more focused and you don't have to get really close to the object. Yes they do read surface temperatures mostly, though if and object has been warmed for a while the core will be close to the surface temperature. The more expensive models read in a 6 to 1 ratio (at 6 inches away they read a 1 inch area). the cheaper models read in a 1 to 1 ratio (so you have to be 1 inch away to read in a 1 inch area).

Danny

Last edited by egyptiandan64; 04-01-2013 at 08:58 PM.
egyptiandan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
Watermelon
Adult

So basically a cheaper model and I will have to hold it close to the area I am measuring to get an accurate reading. If I get an expensive one I hold it up to 6 inches away to get an accurate reading? Is that right Danny, sorry if I'm coming across as thick

What infra red thermom do you recommend and what price range am I looking at? I saw a lucky reptile one on surrey pets supplies for about 20 quid, is that gunna be a naff one then? x
Old 04-01-2013, 11:06 PM   #4
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Thats right Soph

Just found this one and it's not expensive 13.95 shipped (and it's in the UK already). The ratio is 12 to 1 so even better than the 6 to 1 and reviews are pretty good. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Non-Contact-...pr_product_top

Danny
Old 04-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
Watermelon
Adult

That is a lot cheaper than I was expecting and will fit it nicely with my boots wage haha.

Next week when I get paid (as they decided not to pay me today) I will get that one! Thanks Danny
Old 07-01-2013, 12:22 AM   #6
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Yes I agree it's worth having an infared one now that they are not at all expensive for decent ones. Once I got one I found I used it a lot. One advance with it is that your meter itself is not heated up by your heat source, resulting in a more accurate measure.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:25 AM   #7
pebsmeboy
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by egyptiandan64 View Post
Thats right Soph

Just found this one and it's not expensive 13.95 shipped (and it's in the UK already). The ratio is 12 to 1 so even better than the 6 to 1 and reviews are pretty good. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Non-Contact-...pr_product_top

Danny
Thank you for the info Danny.
I have been looking for one for ages.
just ordered mine.
Thanks.

Mum to 2 beautiful Hermanns
Pebbledash and Speedy
pebsmeboy is offline   Reply With Quote