Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 12-04-2009, 10:06 PM   #1
cazzykins
Hatched

Default Torty poo

(Sorry in advance for the gross post!)

Usually Nigel does a lovely big poo everyday without any trouble at all. I think it's okay, it's usually a few cm's long, hard but soft at the same time. He wont poo in his daily bath, but about half an hour after it usually.

Today when I went to give him his bath (about half an hour after he woke up) he had already done a poo so I thought I'd leave him for it to drop off as it usually does after a little walk around. But an hour after I first checked it was still attached to his bum, so I carefully cut most of it away from him leaving 1/2cm still attached to pass naturally. Again, went to check on him 10 mins later and it was still attached, so I gave him his bath (he soaked for about 20 minutes with a few water changes to keep it warm). It was still attached when I put him back after drying him off. It remained in him for all of the day, I gave him another 10 min bath later on to try and help, but no luck!

He's gone to bed with it still in him at 5pm. He's seemed his usual grumpy self, no change in stomping around or eating or drinking.

I'll give him another few baths tomorrow if it still hasn't gone, but I'm worried it might be hurting him? I was going to buy some butternutsquash when the shops open tomorrow to give him a hand. Is there anything else that helps? Should I take him to the vet if it doesn't pass? Am I worrying too much?!

Lol sorry about the gross ramble, but any help would be great!

Thank you, lovely lads and ladys! xxxx
cazzykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:10 PM   #2
chunkymunky
Hatched

Hi - I have no idea about this other than my own experience with Karma a few weeks ago. She started to pass a big poo & seemed a bit "hassled" with the whole affair. When I looked closely as it was half in half out as you described I noticed a massive hair coming out her bum with the poo. Tempted as I was to pull it I resisted but had to cut off the poo & hair leaving about an inch or so out bacause it was starting to wind around her leg & pull on her bum.
With more fairly warm baths she eventually passed it much to my relief & after a day or so of being a bit subdued is now back to normal.
It might be something just to look out for tomorrow in his bath.
Hope he is ok ..... they are more of a worry than lids at times!!

0.1.0 Horsfield
0.2.0 Chidren
1.0.0 Spouse
chunkymunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:18 PM   #3
cazzykins
Hatched

Thanks Lizz! I was wondering about if he'd eaten a hair. He did that last week with a little hair, but didn't seem to have any problem with that at all. I've religiously brushed my hair in another room and tied it up when I'm around him now! (I have very long hair so it would probably take him a week to pass a whole long one!) I've read on other posts not to pull at a hair, so I assumed not to help with a poo too.
Also, it's a quite big poo, not a little one with a hair comming out of it.
They are worrying aren't they!
cazzykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 08:10 AM   #4
sandy
Adult

If you have a pair of old scissors you can cut the poo off as close to him as you can. I am sure it will pass eventually. If not you will be at the vets soon:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 02:23 PM   #5
alotoffluff
Adult

Location: greenwich, london, previously born and brought up in Kent!

I had the hair/poo thing a while ago. It may take a coupl eof days, but keep up the baths and like Sandy said, try to cut it off.
Poor tortie, the things they go through!
alotoffluff is offline   Reply With Quote