Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 10-09-2007, 08:02 AM   #1
Tortellini
Egg

Default How to worm

Hi I was hoping someone could help me. After advice from people on the forum I had by torts checked for worms and it turned out they have them. I returned to the vets with them this weekend for a demonstration on how to worm them but as they are so small (20months) he was unable to do this. He was attempting to syringe into the mouth. After a few attempts he suggested I took the stuff home to do it there and said to put it on meat patte?!? As my torts are Hermanns I don't want to be feeding them meat but don't think they will eat leaves with this on. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of a dedicated tortoise vet in the nottinghamshire/lincolnshire area?
Any help would be appreciated

Tortelllini
Tortellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:39 AM   #2
Lilacarchie
Incubating

From your post, I assume that the vet prescribed a liquid wormer - is it Panacur?

A liquid is quite difficult to administer. I use Panacur paste, which is thicker than the liquid and I usually make up a "cucumber sandwich", with the Panacur as the filling.

My boys eat them with no problems.

hopefully this helps.
Lilacarchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:06 AM   #3
rachel30b
Sub Adult

i used the panacur liquid did seem bit runny but it worked (the vet gave me the liquid)

used it on a sandwich as mentioned above
rachel30b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:04 PM   #4
Tortellini
Egg

Thank you for the advice, i'll give it a go. I can't remember offhand what the de-wormer is called but it is liquid and I think it begins with an 'M', i've been told to repeat the dose 21days after the first dose. I'll have a look tonight and let you know. Is the panacur the best/most common one?
Cheers
Tortellini
Old 11-09-2007, 07:52 AM   #5
Tortellini
Egg

Hi again,
It was panacur the vet gave me, no idea where I got the 'M' from!? Anyways they ate the cucumber sandwich with gusto so there'll be no more worms for my little torts
Thanks again for the advice.