Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 22-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #1
Rhiellie
Egg

Default Is It Warm Enough For The Garden Yet?

Hi everyone

We have warm sunshine here today, temps about 13-15 degrees so I wondered if it would be warm enough to take my 5 year old Hermann's into the outside run at all?
They are currently on the tortoise table but can they spend a few hours outside, if they can how long would be ok?

Thanks
0.4.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Rabbit
1.0.0 Hamster
0.2.0 Children
1.0.0 Husband
Rhiellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
Pussygalore
Adult

if you have good bright sun then yes the torts can go outside, as to how long for will depend on the sun and them, keep an eye on them just in case they do get cold and need to come in. I'd wait untill the grass has dried first though especially if you had a frost last night, mid day onwards is usually the hotest time. The air temp doesn't really matter if the torts are in the sun as thats where they get their heat from.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

If the sun's out then mine go out. They usually find a warm sheltered spot, even if it's only 13 or 14 degrees or so you'll find that they'll find a spot where the sun is shining down and bask away.
Old 22-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
JoesMum
Hatchling

As long as you have full sun in a sheltered spot so sunbathing is possible... and your tort goes out warmed up... it's fine.

Watch out for digging in... if that happens, it's time to bring him in as he's getting chilly.
Old 22-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
burnt toast
Adult

16 degrees here. I have been leaving mine in with their lamps on till 1 oclock then opening their hatches & they all march out. Theyre fine if they warm up first.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
Steph37
Hatched

Yes all mine out-from 8 months to ?? years but only when the sun is on their runs. One of my adult Hermanns only woke on monday night, ate tuesday am and is out with his brother in the sunshine now. With them I tend to leave them til after work (when the sun is off their run) and they have gone into the hutch i their coldframe, but all the others come in and out with the sun at the moment. Hope this isnt our 'summer' like last year though!
Steph37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
joekent
Hatchling

Send a message via MSN to joekent

For my younger torts I put them outside if it is warm enough for me to go out in a t-shirt Remember that wind is not too much of an issue as they are close to the ground in an enclosure - they just need some sun!
xx
Old 04-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #8
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Today is not outside weather for hermann tortoises in Glasgow. Its 5C with a biting cold wind and grey skies.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
Fred123
Hatched

2 degrees here, was -1 earlier this morning. Snow and very high winds. More penguin weather than tortoise.
Fred123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:56 PM   #10
Dexieii
Egg

My torts have access to the outside during daylight hours for most of the year, apart from hibernation, but I still rely on the T-shirt scale... if it's warm enough for me to wear a t-shirt without shivering, then it's warm enough for my torts to be outside!

www.cinqueportsrescue.co.uk
Dexieii is offline   Reply With Quote