Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 03-09-2015, 07:19 PM   #1
Kighill
Incubating

Default Coco coir and Komodo Tortoise Terrain

I am collecting my first tortoise (Hermanni Hermanni) on Saturday and doing the final preparations on the tortoise habitat. I was going to mix my own substrate of play sand and topsoil, however I have now bought a bag of Komodo Tortoise Eco Terrain. ( this was on offer at a local store for £4.99 instead of £7.99)
I have also bought coco coir (from home bargains, again currently on offer at home bargains reduced from 99p to 69p)
I have followed the instructions to rehydrate the coir then mixed it with the Eco Terrain to a depth of 3 inches.
I have the heat/basking lights running to ensure the system is working correctly prior to adding the tortoise the temperature is currently 30/32.
My concern is that having hydrated the coir it is quite damp not unlike compost straight from the bag. I am worried it may be a little to humid.
The heat lamp is drying the substrate and I am mixing/moving it about to assist with this process, all may be different by Saturday afternoon so I may be worrying unnecessarily.

The tortoise are 3 or 4 months old.
Any thoughts please?

Last edited by Kighill; 03-09-2015 at 07:21 PM.
Kighill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:27 PM   #2
CherryBrandy
Adult

think so Kighill, sounds good and congratulations. I would say keep turning it over, aim for 40 - 55 humidity if can. 40 is borderline apparently but mine have always been at that. maybe get yourself a humidity temp thermometer. Amazing how the humidity changes throughout the day. Spray daily but don't soak of course. You don't want fungus or fungal spores growing which you can't see. The bulb will dry it out well. keep us posted and pickys galore !! CB
Old 03-09-2015, 09:01 PM   #3
Kighill
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
think so Kighill, sounds good and congratulations. I would say keep turning it over, aim for 40 - 55 humidity if can. 40 is borderline apparently but mine have always been at that. maybe get yourself a humidity temp thermometer. Amazing how the humidity changes throughout the day. Spray daily but don't soak of course. You don't want fungus or fungal spores growing which you can't see. The bulb will dry it out well. keep us posted and pickys galore !! CB
Thank you, I have one somewhere (it is in a safe place, so safe I cannot find it)
I have looked on flea bay and seen so many I am left a little confused, any recommendations please?
Kighill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:46 AM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

I have about 4 of the temp / humidity mix not sure what name they are but if you put
- 2 of LCD Digital Temperature Humidity Meter Thermometer - into Amazon they should come up ... they are white, quite large display, have a stand / or flat and show up front the temp/humidity and you can retain records of the min / mx temp humidity too or clear it - £2.67 - didn't know they came from china I think. had no probs at all. If place in direct sun they black out but do come back. Good luck , let us know how you get on. CB
Old 06-09-2015, 11:55 AM   #5
CherryBrandy
Adult

I just remembered also there happened to be a picky of it in one of my photos headed up 'cucumbery' (because Elenor was a rescue tort the size of a slice of cucumber I thought we would lose her) Elenor and Franlyn, who had been badly burned. I have reposted it today in the picture thread. CB