Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 04-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
jooli
Egg

Default Marginated okay in a viv?

Hi all, I could do with some advice on this topic if you don't mind me bringing it into discussion again...
I have a 4 year old marginated tortoise and until now he has been in a sort of tortoise table I built for him. It's completely open top, filled with sand/soil, shredded tissue which he buries himself in (he never liked soil/sand/ and a big stone to bask on. All great, except hes now too big for it - not area-wise, but he can pull himself out of it now he's 'tall' enough to hook his front legs over the top when he stands upright. Terrified me the first time he did it, it's a long drop for a little tort! Didn't stop him doing it again though...
Anyhow, for the time being he has garden netting pinned over the top of it to stop him climbing out, and I am on the look out for something new for him. I really like the idea of being able to see in and see what he's up to, and he seems to enjoy watching the world outside, so I like the idea of a wooden/glass viv... but there is just so much conflicting opinion around them I really don't know if it's a good idea. I would ideally buy the VivExotic 48x24x24" one (http://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk...ches-755-p.asp) with a cabinet.
Anyone know whether he's likely to be happy in that? I'm not sure whether vivs are a bad idea altogether for marginated torts, or whether with careful monitoring of the temp/humidity they can be happy and healthy in one? The other option would be a 48" tortoise table. Would really appreciate some advice! Thanks
jooli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I have never used them so I don't know what they are like at all, someone else will hopefully fill you in.

Other options are perspex along one side of the table you have or just to stop it climbing out, a 2 inch wide piece of wood all the way round the top of the sides - fixed on flat so that it overhangs inwards, that prevents escape
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
jooli
Egg

Hi there, thanks for the reply. I have wondered about just making the sides higher, but if it'd be ok to get him a vivarium so I can see him more then I'd prefer that... just depends if it's ok or not! I get the impression that people have different opinions and as long as you monitor the conditions then tables and vivs are both good, but I certainly don't want to move Ronald to a viv and then have him not be happy
jooli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Since no one has offered to answer this and I don't really know myself, all I can say is I'd have no problem with doing it if it were mine and the viv was big enough.. but the table would be my first choice.

I know there are people out there who keep their torts in vivs
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
Gordon
Adult

Hi i keep some of my torts on tables and some in vivs and to be honest they all seem happy the only reason i use vivs is for temps as they are in a cold conservitory no room for all of them indoors , if your tort has been on a table all this time he prob wont like going in a viv . I have had the same problem with torts climbing out and the way i stoped it was to put some 2x1 (50x25) battern around the top of the table on the inside so you have a 2" lip all the way round that way when he pushes up he cant go all the way and wont be able to get his feet over
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
alicia
Adult

ive never kept any of my tortoises in viv's.
but i've worked in pet shops and looked after tortoises living in vivs.
the things I notice about viv was when the tortoise pee'd or poo'd the moisture would sometimes make the glass turn in to condensation... and the smell of the viv once the door is open its like its concentrated where its been trapped in!
another thing I noticed with the viv was the fact the tortoise could see out... many of the tortoises spend most their time thinking they could walk out the viv and rubbing and hitting their noses against the glass.
also i find with a viv your not able to provide a substrate deep enough for them to dig in because of the depth of them.
however they do hold the temp well, and also you know that your tort can't get out!

people like different things, I have always done what in my opinion i though was best for my tort... and my opinions are always changing based on trial and error.
Maybe try the viv and see how you get on?
I hope ive helped slightly.
xx

0.0.2 graeca ibera
alicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
emma_mcraf
Adult

Like the others, I've never used vivs and I'm quite ignorant regarding them, so I wouldn't like to say if they're good or not. However, my adult tort is an accomplished climber and we have a 'lip' facing inwards around the edges of his table to stop him climbing out. It's very effective as he's never managed to get over it, despite numerous attempts. I think he's given up now.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
Pussygalore
Adult

I have never used a viv but the main probs seem to be getting the variation in temps correct plus keeping the humidity down and air exchange, one more thing I don't think you can use a combined bulb so it would need to be strip and a spot. If you can get the above ok then viv's are used with success, anywhere that's enclosed will be warmer all over than an open topped and you have to have the room temp cool areas and with closed doors I'm not sure how you'd get a hot basking area without the whole viv being warmer than required. I'd imagine you'd need a thermostat on the basking spot which of course you don't need in a table and daily spraying would be bound to increase the humidity levels.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #9
natstorts
Juvenile

Hi I kept my 2 hatchlings in a tort table when I first got them and they were constantly climbing trying to see out..(When they were on top of their hide they just watched everything that was going on). I moved them into a viv and they have stopped trying to climb the sides and they are IMO more active. I also have a bigger tort and he is in a table(soon to be getting another one that has a glass front). When the little ones get bigger I will move them into a table aswell, also a glass front so we can see in and they can see out. In the summer they will be outside though
Have you thought about getting a bigger glass fronted table? That way you have the advantage of seeing in and the tort seeing out as well as the ventilation and different temps of the table

1.0.1 THBs(Freddie and Flo)
0.0.1 Leopard(Otis)
1.1.0 Dogs (Zac + Meg)
2.0.0 Cats (Oli + Billy)
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon (Draz)
1.0.0 Russian Dwarf Hamster (Ralph)
2.0.0 Gerbils (Patch + Digger)
natstorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 03:15 AM   #10
EJ
Adult

I've used vivs for tortoises for many years. I do recommend them for keepers living in cooler climates. It is less expensive and easier to maintain good temperatures.

Put a little good common sense to work. Throw out the advice that is based on obvious political BS and don't be affraid to form your own opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooli View Post
Hi all, I could do with some advice on this topic if you don't mind me bringing it into discussion again...
I have a 4 year old marginated tortoise and until now he has been in a sort of tortoise table I built for him. It's completely open top, filled with sand/soil, shredded tissue which he buries himself in (he never liked soil/sand/ and a big stone to bask on. All great, except hes now too big for it - not area-wise, but he can pull himself out of it now he's 'tall' enough to hook his front legs over the top when he stands upright. Terrified me the first time he did it, it's a long drop for a little tort! Didn't stop him doing it again though...
Anyhow, for the time being he has garden netting pinned over the top of it to stop him climbing out, and I am on the look out for something new for him. I really like the idea of being able to see in and see what he's up to, and he seems to enjoy watching the world outside, so I like the idea of a wooden/glass viv... but there is just so much conflicting opinion around them I really don't know if it's a good idea. I would ideally buy the VivExotic 48x24x24" one (http://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk...ches-755-p.asp) with a cabinet.
Anyone know whether he's likely to be happy in that? I'm not sure whether vivs are a bad idea altogether for marginated torts, or whether with careful monitoring of the temp/humidity they can be happy and healthy in one? The other option would be a 48" tortoise table. Would really appreciate some advice! Thanks
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote