View Single Post
Old 17-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #24
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
I think many new owners think of the old garden torts that did live out all year round and were left to their own devices, however although there are still old garden torts many simply never lived very long. You also have to remember that they were mostly bought in shops as wild caught adults, these would have already learnt to survive even if it was in more suitable enviroment, you also have to bear in mind that those that did survive are mostly to be found in south facing gardens with good drainage. Our present captive bred torts just don't have the survival experience and would probably die if just put out in the garden, we also know much more about keeping them and they should live a lot longer than they used to. They do need help though as they aren't native to this country or climate and hibernation is a lot safer now providing we follow the good guide lines which have been learnt over the years.

I think there are more tortoises still around that have survived here, than a lot of people think. I know lots died, and I wouldn't recommend that these days they are left to their own devices. A lot of these tortoises that have survived and still healthy, had a good choice of plants and foods, as most had good gardens without a lot of chemicals. These days people only want show gardens (excluding tort keepers:0) ) so gardens are not suited for tortoises to be left to do their own thing.
I have adapted my garden so they can still live a reasonably normal life, doing their thing. I have heated greenhouses, unheated coldframes, and suitable hibernating places.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is online now   Reply With Quote