View Single Post
Old 17-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #23
Catwoman63
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
I think many new owners think of the old garden torts that did live out all year round and were left to their own devices, however although there are still old garden torts many simply never lived very long. You also have to remember that they were mostly bought in shops as wild caught adults, these would have already learnt to survive even if it was in more suitable enviroment, you also have to bear in mind that those that did survive are mostly to be found in south facing gardens with good drainage. Our present captive bred torts just don't have the survival experience and would probably die if just put out in the garden, we also know much more about keeping them and they should live a lot longer than they used to. They do need help though as they aren't native to this country or climate and hibernation is a lot safer now providing we follow the good guide lines which have been learnt over the years.
I agree with all of this this, they arnt native to this country and indeed do need a little help, we can ensure their conditions are as good as possible, some guy in work I was talking to the other day thought tortoises only lived for 5 years, he was totally shocked when I told him how long they can actually live, he said he knew owners whose tortoises on lived for 5 years, so they were just plonked in the garden and left to their own defences x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote