View Single Post
Old 26-08-2021, 07:39 PM   #17
emma_mcraf
Adult

Lottie our rescue pug is always under my feet and the amount of times I joke she’s going to kill me…literally all the kids asked straightaway if I’d tripped over her!! Nope, can’t blame it on anything. I got up and fell down. Boring as can be.
Had to get hubby home from work as I couldn’t have driven myself to hospital plus needed someone to be with my son who has autism and the dogs. ��

Had it examined. Told it was most likely a break but the X-ray machine was being serviced and a part had been ordered so could I please come back in the morning. What were the chances?!
Phoned the nearest main hospital and they had a 3 hour wait for triage plus two major crashes on the motorway, so we decided against that, went home, I elevated, ate ice cream and watched as the bruising started.
So next morning had to go through the same palaver but was there nice and early and seen quickly.
I had a subtle fracture of the cortex of the 5th metatarsal and a second possible fracture of the tarsals (bit further back near the cuboid bone) as there was an overlap which can be indicative of a break. They said the consultant would check the x-rays and I’d be contacted should he/she feel I needed further treatment - cast, boot, etc - but it’s simply rest, elevation, painkillers (and ice if I need it for 20 mins at a time) for as long as needed. The nurse kept exclaiming at the amount of swelling. I told her she should have seen it yesterday ������
I was lucky not to need a boot because there was no displacement and this bone can usually heal itself well with the care recommendations. It’s about 6 weeks recovery but symptoms can still be present up until 3-6 months and even after that there might be pain or swelling if I walk on uneven ground or am stood for a long period of time. So I did as I was told and I was able to walk comfortably enough on it at around 6-8 weeks.
It was great watching the bruising expand, change colour and so on. I was lucky as hubby was on annual leave the following week so he painted the hall, I sat with my foot elevated and watched Netflix and it was nice to have a week off standing to cook and do the dishes.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote