Thread: Topsoil
View Single Post
Old 14-04-2016, 06:57 PM   #12
Jan W
Sub Adult

To be honest Reece I had never checked. When I started using it from our village garden centre I had followed the advice on the Tortoise Trust web site and at the time I thought they had written something like 'top soil' and cleaned 'sand', so I bought play sand and mixed 50/50, although I found too sandy and was worried about their eyes, so reduced.

I will have a look, but it just said top soil, so I assumed ok. I didn't think it had anything added and if it did I would not have bought. I have just had a look at one of my old bags (using it to store some plants on) and the last one I bought was Arthur Bowers. Just says top soil so assume they would have to specify additives.

I'm a bit worried now.... The only thing I can say is that my torts have never been unwell with anything, no swollen eye, gastro-intestinal problems - anything in 6 years (touch wood etc).

However, I would also say I do not have the experience or expertise of many of those advising, so perhaps take note of others.

I'm going to investigate, so will update the thread when I have had a chance to find out.