View Single Post
Old 23-09-2013, 04:36 AM   #3
Frazer31383
Egg

Thank you Sandy.

My two are Hermanns.At present one is 254g and the other is 286g so I should be ok to hibernate for 12 weeks provided everything is ok and they don't have a big weight loss?

They have already started to slow down now, eating less, moving about less and going in earlier in the evening even without me reducing heat and light until 7pm. Currently heat and light comes on at 8am and goes off at 7pm so I'm assuming I will need to shorten this further over coming weeks?

Not long now until the clocks change and it will start getting dark at 5pm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
Not sure where you have read a tortoise is too young to hibernate, as what do people think they do in the wild:0)
Eight weeks is the minimum hibernation for a first time, if you are scared:0)
Provided you monitor correctly, its a doddle. Weight loss is the biggest worry for most keepers.
I don't weigh my adults, but I do watch them during the year to make sure they are healthy, and are eating well. Mine bury down in the greenhouse when they are ready (with me reducing light/heat and food). They are slowing down now.
My smaller tortoises, I don't usually think about hibernating them until late November, so they are asleep when weeds are scarce. From 30grms onwards they are hibernated for at least eight weeks. If their weight loss is minimum then they get another two weeks. Once they get over 150grms then they get the full 12weeks. Provided they don't have a big weight loss.
I weigh them when they go into hibernation, I don't weigh again for at least two weeks. As the first week they will lose more, as they are still settling down (I use the box method for my small torts). Then I weigh them weekly after that.

What species are your torts?

2.2.0 - Testudo Hermanni - Shelby, Liz, Honey & Daisy
0.1.0 - ShihTzu - Pip
0.1.0 - Cat - Tabby
1.1.0 - Rabbits - Smudge & Squiggle
Frazer31383 is offline   Reply With Quote