View Single Post
Old 22-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazer31383 View Post
I thought I had done lots of reading up on hibernation as this will be the first time we have done it, and I believe the first time our 2 would have been hibernated, but I am still unsure about a couple of things;

How long should I hibernate them for?

One will be 2 years next month and the other will be 2 next Feb. I have read somewhere that at that age they should only be hibernated for around 6 weeks but then somewhere else I read that 'young' tortoises should be hibernated 8 - 12 weeks??? As this is the first time I don't want to do anything that would harm them or be detrimental to their health.

We are expecting a baby mid January so my plan was to start hibernating them at the start of November (I will be off work for 2 weeks so will be around to keep a close eye on them at the start) and then was going to wake them around mid to late January when I'm at home on paternity leave for 3 weeks (again so I can keep a close eye on things).

What are the implications of hibernating for too long?

Obviously I will be regularly weighing them throughout hibernation and they will both be of a healthy weight when they start (at present one is 0.20 and the other 0.21 using Jackson Ratio calculation).
I will be using the fridge method to hibernate them (so temp will be a constant 5 degrees) and will place the fridge inside the house possibly in a corner of the dining room or upstairs in an old airing cupboard (no longer an airing cupboard due to new boiler being fitted).

Any help or advice will be gratefully appreciated!

Thanks
Not sure where you have read a tortoise is too young to hibernate, as what do people think they do in the wild:0)
Eight weeks is the minimum hibernation for a first time, if you are scared:0)
Provided you monitor correctly, its a doddle. Weight loss is the biggest worry for most keepers.
I don't weigh my adults, but I do watch them during the year to make sure they are healthy, and are eating well. Mine bury down in the greenhouse when they are ready (with me reducing light/heat and food). They are slowing down now.
My smaller tortoises, I don't usually think about hibernating them until late November, so they are asleep when weeds are scarce. From 30grms onwards they are hibernated for at least eight weeks. If their weight loss is minimum then they get another two weeks. Once they get over 150grms then they get the full 12weeks. Provided they don't have a big weight loss.
I weigh them when they go into hibernation, I don't weigh again for at least two weeks. As the first week they will lose more, as they are still settling down (I use the box method for my small torts). Then I weigh them weekly after that.

What species are your torts?

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote