Thread: Which tortoise?
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2009, 11:00 PM   #5
Steph37
Hatched

I personally wouldn't choose Horsfields cos of the digging there are more adaptations that need to be made to your garden. Ibera (Spur-thighed etc) and Hermanns dig too but rarely deeop enough that you lose them. You will find that they are very ritualistic and bet you'll find them sleeping in the same place every day! You would only not hibernate a med tortoise if it were ill, quarantined, or underweight, but if you are getting a rehomed one through a society it will have a health check. I can give you the name of the biggest breeder certainly in Southern England but not on this site. He has over 400 that he keeps to breed, and there's nothing he cant tell you. Hermanns and Spur-thighed are probably the easiest to keep-Hermanns are smaller, both species are very responsive to humans although I dont really classify any of mine as 'pets' as I would my cats. Two females would live happily, males may do once dominance is establoished-I have 2 Hermanns males and 2 Horsfield males living happily, the latter are 'just good friends' the Hermanns are inseperable (they refuse to eat if seperated cos they are too busy trying to get to each other-I keep them apart when waking from hiberantion until they are eating normally) but they clash head to head (only 1st thing in the season for a few days) and 'mate' (when it's very hot and when they've had a bath) Although I have 6 Horsfields, I really would recommend one of the other two species!
Steph37 is offline   Reply With Quote