Thread: Pneumonia
View Single Post
Old 23-03-2016, 10:24 AM   #1
Andy Robertson
Hatched

Default Pneumonia

Just the other day I lost my Male THHerc to Pneumonia. Max was a picture of health for the years I had him, my most active tortoise always eating well, hibernating and chasing after the ladies.
Anyway after coming out of hibernation Max was slightly groggy than his usual self, with something covering his right eye and ear, this pealed away after a good soak.
For a couple of days he was eating small amounts and active, but not like he was running around.
On day five he hardly moved, and was very lethargic so I decided he needed the vets, first visit they mentioned a possible ear infection and maybe a kidney problem. One shot of AB, vitamin jab and some fluids.
The day after Max had picked up and managed to eat, although I had to feed him myself, he did also empty his bladder, which made it clear it wasn't a kidney problem. That same night Max was struggling to breath, head extended and mouth gaping. I was also using a Nebuliser twice a day to help with his treatment.
Next mornings visit to the vet included another jab of AB and some X-rays, these showed he had Pneumonia.
Next day Max was up and about eating by himself and walking around his enclosure.
All looked good and it felt like he was on the mend.
Unfortunately after this Max was still slightly active, but constantly gasping for air along with rubbing his face with his legs. He wouldn't eat and was also bringing up what I can only describe as phlegm. As Mick said this is a good sign that the treatments are working.
Anyway Max never made it and past away early the next morning.
The point of this post is to make tort owners aware of various symptoms to look out for especially after hibernation, I consider myself to be an experienced Tort keeper, but this took me by surprise and at how quick things happened. (12 days from coming out of hibernation)
I hope this post helps other Tort owners on certain symptoms that indicate early signs of something is wrong.
Andy Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote