View Single Post
Old 23-05-2020, 12:44 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by GemJam View Post
Hi everyone, I hope you are all well.

I have a 6 year old Hermanns who I've had since a baby. I've always kept her inside during the colder months and hibernated in a fridge, but she is outside (day and night) when it is lovely and warm. The outside enclosure is 9ft square with access to a portion of my greenhouse, with a thermostat and heat lamp.

This year I would like to keep her outside 365 days 24/7. What are your top tips to make this transition (for me and my tort, Hettie)?

I have a deep container that I was thinking I could fill with soil and set my thermostat to a lower temp for hibernation. Would this be sufficient? What temp should I set the lamp to? Is there a better alternative than this solution?

What is best for the colder months when she is still awake?

Thanks, Gemma
If you have heat in the GH, and soil, you can let her dig naturally into the soil for hibernation. As long as there is heat if temps drop below 5c. I have been hibernating my ibera this way for over 25ys and its far better for them:0)
If you were really worried, you could dig out soil put in a large tub, fill it with soil and let him/her bury down into it:0) Temperatures usually stay stable under ground, rather than above:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is online now   Reply With Quote