View Single Post
Old 26-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #26
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

I will be interested to see how this works. I know Pancakes are famous for being good climbers, but, in my experience, unless they have to they don't actually tend to climb up anything too steep. The drawings do give the impression of fairly steep ramps. I would cover the bottom few inches of the plexi glass with something solid or they will spend their lives trying to walk through it.

You may find that they will spend all of their time on the bottom level where the heat lamp is and with this in mind be sure to place hides on all levels. They need to be able to dissapear at a moments notice in order to feel secure.

I'm not sure what age the Pancakes you plan to get will be, but if only youngsters I would actually have suggested a smaller enclosure rather than anything too large. I originally had my 6 hatchlings in the table below, but found that they just spent all of their time hidden.

I quickly downsized their enclosure to the much smaller tub shown below and because the vast majority of the enclosure was covered they would actually spend more time out in the open than when in the larger table.

They are now 4 years old and have moved from the tub to the first table shown and more recently into an even larger table. I personally think their time spent in the smaller tub where they felt secure has made them much bolder as they have got older.

Hope that helps - you will enjoy Pancakes, they're a great species to keep!

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote