View Single Post
Old 20-07-2015, 11:31 PM   #24
Hanako
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley cat View Post
I agree don't rush into a decision about having them put to sleep, I was getting the feeling from your post that you were finding it quite upsetting to watch them wanting and attempting to feed but unable to, poor things! however a chat with your vet is needed to decide whether to insert a tube or not.
At the moment I am obviously worried, but I haven't reached the stage of feeling desperate. I still somehow hope that it will either resolve itself, or that they will survive at least a few years and then the vet will have a better chance working on them. But it does make me think how it feels to them to have the food around them, if they are unable to eat. It feels a bit cruel. I know how frustrated I feel when I am on diet, and that's self imposed and at least I have the brain capacity to know the reason, whereas how it feels to animals who don't understand why, and who didn't make the decision not to eat willingly... Maybe I am thinking too much.

I think I won't go through the neck tube feeding. I had another tortoise to have this done and they told me that it was the smallest tortoise they have ever done it to. She was 30 grams. Mine is only third of that. I think a bit on the small side for the surgery. She is size of 20pence.