View Single Post
Old 16-04-2014, 09:46 PM   #9
lonelylayla
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamalu View Post
Hi JawsMew, I am a newbie here as well, I have just got my first tortoise. You asked whether yours is valuable or not, I would say he is priceless, priceless to the elderly couple that had him for 40 years and are now entrusting him with you. Well done to you for that. I'm sure you will get the best help there is on here. I would suggest carrying on with what he is used to at the moment, now the weather is getting warmer, he will be used to being outside. In the meantime you can read as much as you can about that particular breed and learn what needs to be done. I would also say, if he has survived for 40 years doing practically what he wants in the garden, then he should be easy enough to look after. Good luck with that.
Well said Pamalu In the 40 years or so that the tort has been on the planet, husbandry has gone from non existent to quite involved I agree, too much change at outset would probably stress tort out - wonderful that you have a walled garden for him/her to forage in for food. I think I would be inclined to weigh the tort when you get him/her so you have a start point to monitor from and check that they are eating enough. Not sure if you have had the link for Tortoise Table - a wealth of information on good and bad weeds for torts
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/s...atabase_14.asp

Because our UK weather can be so variable, the benefit of access to a greenhouse, shed, dog kennel - some sort of shelter, is invaluable If you are able to fit that out with some form of heating, perhaps tube heaters, so much the better As Pamalu said, reading up loads on your tort will suggest to you, other "improvements" in lifestyle. Keep us updated and shout if you have any queries at all

TG Terresteris 1:3:1 Apollo & Layla, Santa, Helpa & Unig
TG Iberia 2:3:0 Tonka, LJ, Persephone, Cleo & Clyde
Saffron TGG RIP Jaunary 2019
Jasper, Harry & Ruby pussy cats
4 ex bat hens.
lonelylayla is offline   Reply With Quote