View Single Post
Old 22-06-2014, 10:12 PM   #3
Turvy Turtle
Egg

Smile What a relief....

Wow, thank you so much for the quick reply , I have been in tears all day, thinking he will probably die ! Just want to clarify a few things if that is ok!

I need a new vet then? I did suspect this but it is nice to know for sure. There are no reptile vets near me, unfortunately the nearest is 40 something miles away in Boston (I am in Lincoln) and I don't know if they have any particular experience with turtles either. I shall have to make some calls to find a reliable one, I think, as it makes any problems like this more stressful when you don't have full confidence in your vet.

Sorry if it seems like I am asking about something you have already answered, but I am a bit of a hypochondriac both with my own health and on behalf of my pets too .

The first scute near his head to be affected definite seems quite firm and may have regrowth, but the other area that crumbled away at some point today is definitely soft, I could probably scrape more away if I wanted to (I don't), it seems rotten, when you look at it, especially on pictures 3 and 4. Do you think he could lose more from this area during his escapades with the filter intake (I will be cutting that shorter tomorrow)? Is there any possibility of an ongoing infection there still? I have been looking at the first picture and am now wondering if he may have a problem with shedding, there seem to be deeper grooves between the scutes than I have ever noticed before.... sorry, still find it hard to let myself relax and stop looking for problems!

This is the only photo I have handy of his head and neck, and there is absolutely no chance of him letting me take one atm, as he is far too unhappy with me

I just want to thank you for putting my mind at rest. I really thought he might die, even though he seems to be acting normally, other than being a bit more skittish than usual, though that is due to me removing him twice a day to paint him with Povidone! To know that he isn't in any imminent danger of death is such a relief!!!!! Would it be a good idea to continue with the Povidone once a day as directed by the previous vet? I think I will keep an eye on him for the rest of the week, to make sure nothing changes while I try to find a vet who has more experience with turtles. It would give me more peace of mind to take him eventually, but at least there is no immediate rush and I can stop panicking (and googling ).

Again, thank you very, very much!!

Last edited by egyptiandan64; 22-06-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Turvy Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote