Thread: Lighting setup
View Single Post
Old 16-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #9
Arcadiajohn
Hatched

Hi, it's a very inclear subject, surge protectors do seem to be effective in some areas.

There are so many factors that can reduce lamp life, the amount of times the lamp has to strike everyday, the actual screw fitting stability, local fluctuations in current and spikes from timers.

I'm going to be very honest, I don't know the definitive answer as yet, we were having issues with halides in wales at one point?? When we started to advise surge protection the issues just went away. The same has recently been the case in the northern Cambridge area.

So if you want some very effective fail safe advice of a product that's safe to use with timers is move to a stat controlled halogen heat source and use HO T5 for the light and UV.

I am working on a solution but as there are so many variables it may take a while.

But surge protectors and good quality timers do lessen the risk to M.V lamps popping through power spike.

As a remixer though the Arcadia lamp is guaranteed for a year, if it fails just get another one!!

John
www.arcadia-reptile.com/reptile-care-books

Please join us on Facebook, Arcadia reptile
www.Arcadia-reptile.com
Arcadiajohn is offline   Reply With Quote